Regardless if you’re growing out your natural hair, already have a short do, or fabulously long locks, there are so many hairstyles you can have fun with – and you should know them all!
In addition to short and long haircuts of all kinds, black women can also experiment with beautiful traditional African hairstyles such as braids and twists styles.
What’s more, there are so many great ways to style natural hair to fit all tastes and to bring out your facial features! So scroll down and get inspired by the black hairstyles we present below!
I. Black Hairstyles by Hair Length & Type of Curls
1. Shaved Hairstyles for Black Women
This is the perfect idea for women who just went through their BC (Big Chop) and are ready to grow out their natural locks. To glam up your shaved hairstyle, bleach it or dye it in your favorite hair color.
2. TWA Hairstyles
African American women know that a TWA (Teeny Weeny Afro) is one of the next steps after the BC (Big Chop). Even though it’s only a stage in growing out natural hair, go through it glamorously by either dyeing your short hair or adding some hair accessories to it.
3. Razor Pixie Haircuts – the Halley Berry Way
Halle Berry is, without a question, one of the celebrities that has been an inspiration for black hairstyles for decades now. The renowned actress can sport short haircuts like no other. Just take this razored pixie cut as an example and proof of this!
4. Short Hairstyles for Black Women
Pixie haircuts continue being all the rage among women – no matter their skin tones. If you’re rocking natural hair, then this pixie cut with soft curls can be a great way to bring out your femininity.
5. Short Curly Hairstyles for Black Women
We’ve talked pixies, now check out this cool hairstyle that can be the perfect solution for when you’re growing out your hair. It’s actually a style just between a pixie and a bob, so all you have to do is let those curls bounce freely and beautiful!
- Pomade For Edge Control And More: This citrus scented shine pomade moisturizes hair and scalp, smoothes edges and...
- Nourish Your Protective Hairstyle: Use this hair oil for hair growth to add shine and moisture to any protective style;...
- Nourish Naturally Curly Hair: Created for naturally curly and kinky hair, from the short-cropped 4c curly hairstyle to...
6. Short Natural Hairstyles for Black Women
This is an additional example of how to rock a TWA. It’s different from our first example (the one at #2) as here, the hair is left in its natural color – without any bleaching, dyeing, or highlights – and so pretty!
7. Short Hairstyles
Channel your inner retro diva with this fabulous black hairstyle and its vintage vibes. It’s the perfect idea for a classy lady that wants to show off her refined tastes through her hairdo while still keeping her tresses short.
8. Medium Hairstyles
Singer Keri Hilson is yet another of our biggest sources of inspiration – especially when it comes to celebrity-inspired styles. She has plenty of ways and ideas on how to sport medium-length hair. Take these loose curls with side bangs as just one example of the many.
9. Big Natural Afro
Another great natural black hairstyle – especially if you have medium to long hair – is to let it all loose and go with a huge afro. The volume and dynamism that a natural afro provides are immeasurable and the results are, just as expected, gorgeous!
10. Long Hairstyles for Black Women
Big, soft curls have always and will always look extraordinary on long hair. If you prefer rocking long locks, this is certainly a styling option to keep in mind. Not only is it appropriate for all occasions, but it is also beautiful and quite simple to obtain.
- 【Fast Heat & Safety】The hair straightener has smart MCH heat system,which is made of two tourmaline ceramic coating...
- 【Adjustable Temperature Set】The straightener has 6 level temperature setting(265°F-450°F) to choose .No matter...
- 【Professional Hair Styling】Hair straightener and curler 2 in 1 is designed with 3D floating plate,which adjust to...
11. Curly Hairstyles for Black Women
Let those pretty corkscrew curls bounce around all day. If your hair is about shoulder-length when left curly, you can definitely take this natural hairstyle – basically a no-hairstyle even – and make it your go-to look.
12. Long Hairstyles with Bangs and Layers
It’s almost impossible to talk about superb black hairstyles without bringing up Beyoncé. Queen Bey has rocked tens of hairstyles and haircuts throughout the years but we picked this particular one as it goes to show how long layered hair will look like when combined with straight bangs.
II. Black Hairstyles by Types of Braids & Braided Styles
13. Micro Braids
If you have the necessary patience to get them done, micro braids are an incredibly cute way to wear black hair. Indeed, depending on the length of the hair, they can take many hours to get done, but the results are simply marvelous!
14. Box Braids
As you will easily see on this list, African-American women have a wide range of braided hairstyles they can play around with. Box braids are one of the most popular options – partly because they will beautifully complement any face shape.
Get them long, mid-length, or even short and style them as you please – you can get all the inspo you need from a separate article specially dedicated to box braids.
15. Jumbo Braids
As we’ve said above, there are several ways to wear box braids, and jumbo braids are one of them. Jumbo braids will work exceptionally well for women who have thicker hair – extensions can also help in case you don’t. They can also be easily accessorized and dyed in other hair colors too.
- 【Hair Material】:Pre Stretched Braiding Hair Made Of High Quality Low Temperature Flame-Retardant Synthetic...
- 【Advantages】:Long Lasting Freshness Without Skin Irritation,Very Light,Itch Free,No Tangle,No Shedding,No Chemical...
- 【Easy Install】：Professional Pre Stretched Braiding Hair,Save Much More Time To Braid And Install.Perfect For...
16. French Braids
French braids are and will likely continue trending for many seasons to come, and their pigtails version is one of the most popular styles. These classic and classy braids not only look magnificent in selfies but can also be worn in any setting – whether it’s school or the office, a lazy day or a date.
17. Ghana Braids
In a nutshell, Ghana braids might look like Dutch braids (or the so-called reverse French braids) but they are actually weaved in a feed-in manner (and more on this up next). Try out this black hairstyle if French braids are not your thing or if you’re looking to add more volume to your hair.
18. Feed-In Braids
The feed-in technique is highly popular because, besides being pretty, it is also a great way to protect natural hair. Basically, the stylist will feed in extensions to the roots of the braids.
This will add length and thickness to the hair. This technique is particularly popular with goddess braid hairstyles.
19. Mohawk-Like Goddess Braids
The image above shows a great way of styling goddess braids. It also goes to show that you can recreate mohawks through braids. These two long, parallel braids create an awesome braided mohawk-like effect. It will allow anyone to get a mohawk – but without the need to shave a side of the head.
20. Yarn Braids
To change the texture of your hair in a unique way, just go for yarn braids! As their name suggests, these are literally braids made out of yarn. They can be worn just for their style or even as a protective extension that will allow the hair to grow longer and softer.
- Hair Material:100% Acrylic Knitting Yarn Hair
- Hair Features:Brazilian Wool Hair for Braids,Weight:70gram/Pack.Color:Natural Black. Coffee Brown,Red Brown.
- Hair Advantage:Affordable Price,Save Time,Easy to Blends With Human Hair.Light Weight,Natural Looking.
21. Cornrows Braided Hairstyles
Ladies who want traditional black hairstyles can always opt for cornrows. You can either go for a classic approach or play around with different designs and styles, like in the photo above.
22. Inverted Braided Bobs
Even though we’re used to seeing bobs with straight, wavy, or curly hair, they will also look just as amazing with braids. Above, see and admire how a long, inverted bob looks like when made out of goddess braids.
23. Natural Hair Buns – The Braided Version
This is an excellent natural hairstyle that won’t require hours of braiding or styling. All you have to do is sweep up the natural hair and create a traditional braid out of it. After that, simply wrap it around to form a large, beautiful bun.
24. Lace Braids
To put it shortly, a lace braid is usually one that crosses the crown of the head and is then ‘laced’ into the rest of the hair. It’s one of the cutest and fancies black braided hairstyles that will work just great for an everyday look as well as for special occasions of all kinds.
25. Goddess Braid Chignon
Here is yet another fantastic alternative for styling goddess braids – or all types of braids, for that matter. These goddess braids were gathered up to form a low chignon hairstyle.
- Pre Stretched Braiding Hair Made by High Quality Low Temperature Flame-retardant and Sweat Resistant Synthetic Fiber....
- Pre-stretched Braiding Hair Extensions is Yaki Texture Natural Looking and Feel Soft as Human Hair.
- Itch Free, Quick and Easy Lock for Braiding. Long Lasting Freshness Without Skin Irritation. Sweat Resistant, Stay Fresh...
III. Black Twist Hairstyles & Types
26. Braided Hairstyles with Twist Braids
Twist braids are cute, feminine, and beautiful – all in one. To spice up a head full of typical twist braids, consider unwinding the tips and dyeing them a lighter shade or even a different color.
27. Senegalese Twist Braids
There are so many great ways to style and wear Senegalese twists, that we dedicated an entire article to them. Still, they couldn’t miss from this list either – especially as they are so well styled. The twists here are styled in a really high and big bun that we just love.
28. Marley Twists
Bob Marley is known around the world for his massive contribution to reggae music. Aaand, he also indirectly contributed to black hairstyles with what we now call the Marley twists. Inspired by Marley’s famous hair, these twists will look wonderful – no matter the hair length.
29. Nubian Twists
Going back to African hairstyles, this list wouldn’t be complete without Nubian twists. These coil-like twists are a very close relative to both kinky twists and Marley twists. They are also yet another funky fresh way to rock black hairstyles while looking fly.
30. Short Twist Out Curls
Flat twist out curls are absolutely beautiful in all lengths and can be worn in any hairstyle. Take this bouncy bob as example – it is practical, chic, and suitable for any situation (and not to mention super cute!).
- 1.Hair Attributes: Short marley hair length is 8 inches, weight is 40±5g/pcs, 6pcs/lot. Usually 4-6 packs are enough.
- 2.Hair material: This marley twist hair is made of high-quality synthetic fiber and is very soft.
- 3.Hair advantages: Marley twist braiding hair is amazingly soft, light, looks natural, easy to install, and can be used...
31. Natural Black Hairstyles with Twist Curls
Go all-natural with these stunning flat twist out curls. Dyeing the tips in the color of your choice will help outline the curls even better – and so will the whole puffy ponytail with bangs look.
IV. Black Hairstyles for Little Girls & for Special Occasions
32. Little Girls Hairstyles
Any little girl will feel like a princess with a pretty braided hairstyle such as this one. The criss-cross braids are adorably decked off with two bows and double curly puffs to make the style child-appropriate and extra cute.
33. Toddler Hairstyles
An adorable toddler deserves an equally adorable hairstyle. An extremely cute hairstyle for them is this double bun. The bangs were brought up to the front and the rest sleeked up in the back. The results? Two heartwarming curly puffs that the little one will adore.
34. Braided Hairstyles for Black Girls
There are many creative braided hairstyles for little girls – you just have to have a bit of patience to find and make them. This faux hawk, for example, gorgeously combines horizontal cornrows with braided Bantu knots from top to bottom.
35. Natural Hairstyles for Weddings
If you treasure your natural hair, show it off on one of the most important days of your life. Strapless wedding dresses will also make for a great reason to let your hair down (literally) and showcase those extraordinary curls all around.
- MAXIMUM HYDRATION FOR NATURAL HAIR: Get the beautiful hair you desire with our Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer. Uses Shea...
- PROMOTES HAIR GROWTH: This everyday moisturizer has Vitamin E oil to encourage hair growth while preventing hair loss....
- IMPROVES SHINE AND SOFTNESS: Due to the Vitamin E oil and Cocoa butter being used directly on the hair it begins to...
36. Afro-Textured Puff for Everyday Wear
You can also prevent your countless tiny curls from getting in your face while still enhancing them and making them look as pretty as they are. A big, high and puffy ponytail will do the trick.
V. All the Different Hairstyle Ideas
37. Curly Mohawk-Like Pixie with Long Bangs
You can also create the illusion of a mohawk if you have a pixie haircut with long bangs. Simply sleek down the sides and emphasize your curls on top and in the front to create the hawk-look.
38. Mohawk Hairstyles for Black Women
Also, whoever said that mohawks are the only edge? If you combine them with long bangs and luscious curls, you can get the best of both your rebellious and your elegant sides. Add some color for extra glam!
39. Black Updo Hairstyles
No matter if you’re prepping for a fancy event or you’re generally a posh gal, an updo like this guarantees you’ll be turning heads. The spectacular curls on top make this updo memorable, to say the least.
40. Bob Hairstyles for Black Women
There’s truly something uniquely chic about bob haircuts and African-American women can rock them amazingly well no matter if they choose to keep their natural hair color or go for a honey shade like the one above.
- CARING COLOR: The skin flattering pigments complement your tone giving you that luminous look in your skin, while the...
- FOR ALL HAIR TEXTURES: Color & Moisture is designed for all hair textures (coily, curly, wavy or straight). The...
- DEEP NOURISHMENT: Color & Moisture provide deep nourishment for moisturized hair and long-lasting color with Macadamia...
41. Asymmetrical Bobs
Another cool way to wear a bob is asymmetrical. This helps contour the jawline while serving as a refined hairstyle that can be worn everywhere. Decide on the lengths for each side according to preferences and lifestyle.
42. Black Hairstyles with Bangs and Inverted Bob
The bangs are what make this chic, layered, inverted bob complete. Also, consider getting either bangs to the side or directly down your forehead – whichever you find most flattering for your face shape.
43. Ponytail Hairstyles
Ponytails always look fab, no matter if they’re simple, braided or made with silky extensions. There’s also the option of picking a lighter hair color and showcasing it in a sleek, long and slightly curled ponytail.
44. Weave Hairstyles
45. Black and Blonde Hairstyles with Dreadlocks
Women who want dreadlocks should know they don’t have to get them in a single color. For example, they can combine black and blonde to add a playful and personal touch to a hairstyle that has been around for ages.
- 100% SOFT HUMAN HAIR - Made of 100% human hair, moves and shines like your bio hair would - Exactly match your own...
- HONEY BLOND KINKY BULK - 10" x 3 packs of soft fluffy kinky bulk elongate your hair - The flyaway tendrils with kinky...
- STYLE YOUR BRAIDS NOW - The kinky bulk can be braided into your own hair directly - Each pack weighs 1.8 Oz (50 gram),...
46. Faux Locs
Dreadlocks have a unique appeal that can’t be replaced by any other hairstyle. However, many women don’t want to damage their hair, so they opt for faux locs instead. The visual result is quite similar and they can rest assured that their hair is protected in the process as well!
47. Bantu Knots
As far as traditional African hairstyles are concerned, Bantu knots have been constantly trending since the 90s and up until. It’s completely understandable why – they mix chic and edgy perfectly!
VI. Hair Color Inspiration
48. Ombre Locks
To accentuate the difference between two colors, go for ombre hair! We recommend leaving the roots in the natural hair color and applying your favorite color on the rest of your locks.
49. Balayage Blends
Jada Pinkett Smith is an inspiration for women worldwide for numerous reasons. In addition to her multi-talents, she shines through her glamorous hairstyles. In this photo, admire how a brown balayage looks on a darker skin tone.
50. Bright Colors
Throughout the years, Rihanna has definitely shown us that we shouldn’t be afraid to sport bold hair colors. This combination of hot pink and red will look astounding on women with darker skin tones – so keep that in mind when picking your next hair color.
- Color and Shine: This high-pigment, high-care permanent non-drip color for African-American hair features Color and...
- Go Intense For Fast, Vibrant Results: Get intense color results for African American hair! Go Intense delivers perfectly...
- Vibrant and Conditioning Hair Color: We make an array of hair color products from temporary to permanent and fade...
So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
In the end, black hairstyles should be a depiction of the wonderful women wearing them.
As a result, you should take some time to analyze all the hairstyles that would suit your personality. Don’t rush! Instead, search for one that will bring out the best and draw attention to the real you.
Top it all off with a brilliant smile and you’re good to go! And don’t forget to tell or show us which of these hairstyles was your favorite!
- Unicorn Hair Without the Salon — You’ll Have a Rainbow Shine All the Time
- Today’s Best Pink Hair Dye Choices For At Home Color
- Ultimate Guide to the Vixen Sew In: Everything You Need to Know
- Love Your Silver Hair, and Color It Bolder!
- Madison Reed Hair Dye For Home Review
- Arctic Fox Hair Dye Reviews: Is It Worth Buying?
- The 13 Best Texture Powder Picks You Need for Great Hair This Year
Last update on 2021-10-16 at 22:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API