No matter the season, cute ponytail hairstyles are always in order as although many tend to associate ponytails with summer hairstyles, there are plenty of ways to make them fit in the colder seasons too.
Whether high, midway down or low, with braids or hair accessories, we’ve rounded up the prettiest ponytails. The selection fits gals with long or short hair alike, as well as straight or curly locks alike.
In our all-encompassing guide, we’ll show you all the ways you can rock ponytail hairstyles, so start sliding or scrolling!
1. Messy Easy Ponytail Hairstyles
When it comes to hairstyles, messy often proves to be the best approach. With a disheveled ponytail, you get this sense of effortless style that you can’t really get any other way.
In addition to aesthetic value, a messy ponytail also takes a short amount of time to style. They’re also the perfect fix for a bad hair day.
2. Half Up Ponytails
We’re pretty sure that everyone agrees with us when we say that half up half down hairstyles are just gorgeous! Also, pair the half up with a ponytail to create a flattering illusion.
If you hair is on the finer or shorter side, strategically create a two-layer ponytail – when the top and bottom sections directly overlap, your ponytail with appear to be longer and thicker.
3. Tight High Ponytail Hairstyles
Forget contouring or blinding highlighter, the tight high ponytail is the secret to this look.
Although apparently simple, the ultra-sleek hairstyle can take you from dull to glam in a matter of minutes. Just make sure you carefully comb your hair back and use hair spray to avoid any loose wisps.
4. Sleek Low Ponytail Hairstyles
On the other hand, you can get a similar effect with a low sleek ponytail. Even though it helps to have naturally straight hair, you can straighten your locks to get the sleekness displayed above.
After that, brush your hair down and back one more time before tying it into a low pony at the base of your neck.
5. Ponytails with Three-Strand Braids
Generally speaking, ponytails reach a whole new level of Wow! when combined with braids.
One of the easiest techniques you can use to bring your ponytail to life is the three-strand braid. Simply tie your tresses into a high ponytail and braid down from there.
- ❤Package Includes: 4pcs S shape hair styling tool (black and brown), 4pcs O shape hair styling tool (black and brown),...
- ❤Hair Styling Tool Set: Various professional DIY hair braiding accessories in one package. Hair Braiding Styling Tools...
- ❤Various Hairstyles: Different hair accessories can meet your various needs and help you make different hairstyles,...
6. Face-Framing Ponytail Hairstyles with Bangs
Just like braids, any types of bangs will also help revitalize a regular ponytail. For example, if your hair is cut in layers, you can leave two strands in the front as face-framing bangs.
7. Fishtail Braided Ponytail Hairstyles
Not only is the fishtail braid very trendy, but it’s also a downright gorgeous way to show off your long locks. Simply use the fishtail braiding technique for your entire ponytail or just a section of it.
8. Rope Twist Ponytails
Not quite ready to jump into intricate braiding methods just yet? You can start slow with one of the easiest – and cutest! – braids around.
Inspired by traditional African braiding techniques, the rope twist braid has now become a worldwide trend. All you have to do is section your ponytail in two and wrap the strands around one another.
9. Loose Side Ponytail Hairstyles
You already know that messy ponytails are a modern classic, but some situations require a pinch of elegance.
For that, we recommend styling your messy ponytail to the side. Keep it as loose as you can (without strands randomly falling out).
10. Cute Ponytail Hairstyles with Crown Braids
The crown braid is a style we’ll probably never get tired of, partly thanks to its unique boho, feminine beauty. Pairing a crown braid with a low ponytail and loose frontal strands will make for a hairstyle worthy of a fairytale.
- 【Spiral Hair Ties】👗Come in 12 pcs Hair Ties in MIXED Color, which is the classic colors. Made of TPU & Cotton...
- 【Invisibobble Hair Tie】💇 Hair Ties Set(Pink Assorted Colors) is perfect the perfect set of ponytail holders for...
- 【No Damage, No Headaches】🌏 Those hair elastic bands are damaging your hair & leaving nasty hair dents. a hair...
11. Ponytails with Undercuts
An undercut can be just as awesome as it is edgy. You can always hide your undercut if the rest of your hair is long enough, but you’ll also want to show it off at times. For that, we encourage you to wrap your locks into a ponytail just above the starting line of the undercut.
12. Rolled Ponytail Prom Hairstyles
Most girls stress about their prom dress, but you shouldn’t forget about the perfect hairstyle either. A quick and eye-catching solution is to go for this swirling, rolled ponytail.
13. Messy Top Twist Ponytails
The technique above can also be applied only to a specific area of your ponytail hairstyle.
For example, you can twirl a few strands on the top if you’re planning to rock a low ponytail. Even though it’s the tiniest of details, it can have an overwhelming impact on your hairstyle.
14. African American Ponytail Hairstyles with Extension Braids
Braids are an integral part of African culture and there are countless ways women of color can express their heritage through their braided hairstyles.
For example, with the help of extensions, they can sport a high ponytail with ultra-long braids flowing down their back.
15. Cascading Weave Ponytail Hairstyles
Weave hairstyles are here to help if you want to momentarily change your natural texture. Nonetheless, we recommend researching the types of hair weaves available to reduce the risk of natural hair breakage.
After doing this, how about going for a cascading ponytail that drapes around your head and shoulders.
- PRETTYPARTY features patent-pending, salon-quality, do-it-yourself hair extensions; innovative, natural, luxury...
- PRETTYPARTY hair extensions are the highest quality you can buy and are completely do-it-yourself. All of our extensions...
- PRETTYPARTY hair extensions are designed to be secure and low maintenance. Unlike conventional extensions, which attach...
16. Ponytails with Ribbons
You don’t need to put in a lot of effort to make your ponytail a showstopper. Sometimes, having the right accessory is all it takes.
Take ribbons for example. No matter how simple they appear to be, they will always add a chic touch to your appearance.
17. Choppy Short Ponytail Hairstyles
Whoever said ponytails were only reserved for girls with long hair? Even if you’ve chopped your locks, you still have dozens of ponytail hairstyles at the tips of your fingers.
A neat trick for wrapping shorter hair into a ponytail is to keep things casual. Don’t panic if pieces of hair slip out of the ponytail. They’ll make the hairstyle even more alluring!
18. Boho Wedding Ponytail Hairstyles
If you dive into the enchanting world of wedding hairstyles for long hair, you’re likely to be stuck there for a while. Still, if you want a simple yet timeless hairstyle to go with your gown on the big day, we recommend a loose boho ponytail with flowers.
19. Low Ponytail with Braided Section Hairstyles
Some hairstyles might seem to be a handful to create. However, if you take a closer look, they’re really not difficult at all. Take this low ponytail with a braided section for example.
- Start with a simple low ponytail, and wrap a strand of hair around the base – the hair tie.
- Then split your locks into two sections and create three-strand braids halfway down.
- Secure the tips with the same hair wrapping method and voila, you are all done!
20. Easy Ponytail Hairstyles with Full Bangs
What if you already have a set of bangs but you’re not quite sure how to highlight them with your ponytail? Yet again, the secret lies in the loose strands.
No products found.
21. Ponytails with Hair Scarves
As far as accessories are concerned, we’re head over heels in love with hair scarves. They’re simply brilliant and can add a chic and girly touch to any outfit.
You don’t even have to spend a lot of time incorporating it into your hairstyle. Just go for the old wrap around the base approach and you’re good to go!
22. Natural Hair Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
The only hair gem we probably adore more than smart accessories are natural hairstyles.
We’re thrilled to see that more and more women are joining the natural hair movement and showcasing their incredible curls, for example, with a big low ponytail.
23. Two Ponytail Hairstyles
Are two ponytails better than one? Well, all things considered, a set of Harley Quinn-esque high pigtails has just the right amount of sugar, spice, and everything nice. So consider going for pigtails instead of a single ponytail.
24. Faux Hawk Braid Ponytails
The faux hawk is one of the coolest and most versatile hairstyles around. Style yours in a faux hawk braid starting from your hairline all the way down to your tips. Alternatively, you can switch the style up by stopping at the middle and continuing with a low ponytail.
25. Ariana Grande High Ponytail Hairstyles
We couldn’t have put together a lengthy piece on ponytail hairstyles without channeling the contemporary queen of ponytails herself. Naturally, we’re talking about Ariana Grande and her iconic high ponytail.
While you’re likely (definitely) require hair extensions to get her envy-worthy length, sky-high, super straight ponytail, this remains a massive source of inspiration for us all.
26. Low Pigtails Hairstyles
In addition to high pigtails, you can also double your ponytail with a low alternative. This hairstyle is more subtle and also easier to get right on the first try.
If you feel that your low pigtails need a boost of originality, wrap some strands over the hair ties holding them in place.
27. Top Braided Ponytail Hairstyles
You don’t necessarily need to use braids for the main portion of your ponytail. In fact, tons of braided ponytail hairstyles are far more appealing when the braids are reserved only for the top.
28. 3D Rope Braid Ponytails
As you level up your braiding skills, you’ll have endless fun experimenting with all sorts of different techniques.
The 3D rope braid shown above is just one example among many. Sure, it might take some time to master, but the outcome will take your breath away.
29. Pull Through Ponytail Braids
If you’re constantly on top of all the hair trends, you’ve definitely seen the pull through braid on social media. This hairstyle can make your locks seem thicker and fuller, and can also be styled in a ponytail.
30. Knotted Low Ponytail Hairstyles
To take your messy ponytail to new heights, all you have to do is carelessly knot it in random places. You can use a string or a strip of leather to add a boho feel to it.
- 50 Unbelievably Easy Hairstyles for School to Save Time
- Keep Them Looking Lovely: 50 Heartwarming Flower Girl Hairstyles
- 50 Cool Ways to Rock Scene & Emo Hairstyles for Girls
31. Reverse Braid Ponytails
Time and time again, we’ve talked about the easygoing yet radiant beauty of reverse braids.
If you’re fairly comfortable with Dutch braiding, you won’t have any problem making the reverse braid ponytail above. You can style the rest of the high ponytail as normal and let the hair go straight down your back.
32. Girly Ponytail Hairstyles for Kids
To tailor the same hairstyles to little girls, all it takes is a bit of fun and creativity.
- First of all, change the angles and create a side part, diagonal reverse braid.
- From that point, tie the rest of the hair into a high side ponytail.
33. Ponytails with Bandanas
Just like hair scarves, bandanas can be the flawless finishing touch to your ponytail hairstyle. Instead of tying the accessory around the ponytail, use it as a headband for a touch of 90s nostalgia.
34. Side Wrapped Low Ponytails
By now, we’ve shown seeral ways in which you can use your own hair to make your ponytail stand out, yet here is another.
Before creating your ponytail, separate a section of hair that’s two to three inches wide. Use that section around the base of your ponytail for extra style points.
35. Easy Ponytail Hairstyles with Chignons
On that note, few hairstyles can surpass the chignon in terms of elegance. Still, you might not want a wedding-grade chignon for a casual occasion. To tone down the fanciness, go for a chignon base but allow the rest of your locks to flow into a low side ponytail.
- The hair strings are made of polyester-cotton, glossy and smooth,helping to braid charming hairstyles
- Pack of 20pcs hair strings, mixed 16 different colors(such as: rainbow,pink,green,red,yellow,blue,purple,black......)
- Single rope is length 100cm(39.37inch)
36. Half French Braided Ponytails
For decades now, French braid hairstyles have been an excellent way for girls to bring out their feminine side. French braids can also be paired with an additional hairstyle, as you can see above.
37. Straight and Curly Ponytail Hairstyles for Black Women
Slick down the top part and maintain your curls for the lower portion of your ponytail to really bring out your natural hair texture – this style works particularly well for curly hair.
38. Sweeping Updo Ponytail Hairstyles with Bangs
A round brush and a blow dryer are the ultimate tools for getting an ultra-classy hairstyle fit for even the fanciest of events.
Also, keep in mind that a layered haircut base will be of massive help for a sweeping updo ponytail like the one above.
39. Curly Bangs with Straight Ponytails
A slick top and curly ponytail isn’t the only way you can mix hair textures within a single hairstyles. Actually, you can go completely the other way around with curly bangs and a straight ponytail.
40. Bouffant High Ponytail Hairstyles
To make your hairstyle shine with vintage elegance, think about adding a bouffant top to the mix. You just have to tease the hair on top lightly for a voluminous effect.
- What you get: you will receive 14 pieces of bump it up volume hair tools, including 6 pieces of bun makers, include...
- Invisible function: this set of volume hair tools can help bump up volume hair and put it in your hair, has a good...
- Considerate design: this set of bump it up volume inserts can stay firmly in your hair, no need for additional pins or...
41. Sectioned Ponytails
Looking to dazzle up a ponytail without getting into complicated techniques? Simply arm yourself with a handful of hair ties, section your ponytail at equal distances, and be amazed!
42. Twisted Braided Ponytail Hairstyles
In general, a twisted braid should take far less time to create than most other braided hairstyles. With that in mind, think about twisting a section of your hair and adding it to your ponytail.
43. Two Dutch Braids into Low Ponytail Hairstyles
Likewise, you can take the same approach but change the braiding style. Dutch braids, for instance, will make any ponytail hairstyle instantly spectacular!
44. Up-Twisted Ponytails
For an unconventional yet highly impressive ponytail, draw inspiration from the world of fashion and hair editorials.
To get the stunning hairstyle depicted above, tightly style your hair into a ponytail and twist the bottom section up and around itself.
45. Easy Ponytail Hairstyles with Braided Transitions
Sometimes, a clever transition can be the missing ingredient to achieving the ponytail hairstyle of your dreams!
Rather than tying your hair with an accessory at the base, braid a couple of strands of hair. The braided transition that results from the process is absolutely beautiful.
- 30 Party Hairstyles to Look Fabulous No Matter the Occasion!
- 50 Updo Hairstyles for Weddings and the Perfect ‘I Do’
- 50 Jolly Christmas Hairstyles Fit for All Parties
46. Side-Swept African American Ponytail Hairstyles
Another amazing idea for African American women is to mix braids with a long and wavy side ponytail.
Use your braid of choice to contour your hairline. After that, wrap your curls into a low ponytail and nonchalantly sweep it to the side.
47. Criss-Cross Haute Couture Ponytails
Similar to editorials, the runway is also one of the places you should look towards for eye-catching hairstyles.
Just as an example, the criss-cross low ponytail on display here will make you look and feel like a model on the catwalk.
48. Low Ponytail Hairstyles with Infinity Braids
Infinity braids are sure to leave a lasting impression. Just imagine the number of compliments you’ll get when you multiply them and use five infinity braids to bring your ponytail to life.
49. Glam Ponytails with Accessories
We’ve discussed a variety of accessories you can use to tie around your ponytail or as a headband. But what if you were to add bling to your hair as you do jewelry to your neck and wrists? Think hair clip with rhinestones.
50. Beaded and Braided Ponytail Hairstyles
For our final idea, we’ve combined numerous tips and tricks for the ultimate ponytail hairstyle.
- Sleek high ponytail? ✔️
- Subtle yet marvelous braids? ✔️
- Hair beads and even a gold hair tie chain? Definitely ✔️
There you go – three elements for a hairstyle that won’t go by unnoticed!
- Package included: 150 Pieces 3 sizes round natural painted wood beads, 50 pieces 16mm oval natural painted wood beads,...
- Many kinds of products, including most hair braid accessories, can meet your different needs. Braid or chunk your hair...
- This set includes two styles beading needle, make it easy for you to weave your hair through beads
So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
It doesn’t matter how young or old you are – ponytail hairstyles are a perfect fit for all occasions and personalities. In addition, with all the possibilities you have at hand, it’s impossible to get bored with them!
Regardless if you were seeking ponytail for hairstyles for school, work, or just a casual day out and about, we’re confident you’ve now got all the inspiration you need!
Of course, we’re also always interested in discovering even more alternatives. Therefore, you’re welcome to add your ideas through a comment!
- Unicorn Hair Without the Salon — You’ll Have a Rainbow Shine All the Time
- Today’s Best Pink Hair Dye Choices For At Home Color
- Ultimate Guide to the Vixen Sew In: Everything You Need to Know
- Love Your Silver Hair, and Color It Bolder!
- Madison Reed Hair Dye For Home Review
- Arctic Fox Hair Dye Reviews: Is It Worth Buying?
- The 13 Best Texture Powder Picks You Need for Great Hair This Year
Last update on 2021-10-16 at 22:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API