If you haven’t been completely closed off, you’ve definitely noticed that half up half down hairstyles are all the rage this year.
As long as your hair is at least shoulder-length, you can have endless fun experimenting with all sorts of different braids, buns, and other goodies with your hair half up.
We’ve prepared a massive selection of the cutest half up half down hairstyles you can try out, with beautiful ideas for any level of styling experience.
Instead of spending hours searching for inspiration on Pinterest, scroll through our list and fuel your creativity below!
1. Easy Half Up Half Down Hairstyles for Wavy Hair
If our goddess Gigi Hadid can effortlessly rock a half up ponytail and own it, so can you. For the hairstyle shown above, all you have to do is split your hair into two sections and tie the smaller top into a bouncy pony. You’ll be radiant.
2. Half Up Space Buns
Would you rather try a half up hairstyle with a bit more oomph to it? Space buns are always there to save the day. Rather than pulling all of your hair up into two buns, use the idea only for the top part.
Once you get a hang of it, level up with a half up half down hairstyles tutorial for braided buns.
3. Cute Half Up Half Down Hairstyles with One Braid
Sometimes, a single detail can make or break your entire hairstyle. For instance, after you get your locks into your half up hairstyle of choice, you can add just one braid under the main part. Alternatively, explore your rebellious side with a dreadlock or a colorful hair wrap.
4. Half Up French Braids
For years now, French braid hairstyles have been a surefire way to show that you’re a chic girl. If you’re aiming for a classy look, choose a French braiding technique for the top part of your half up hairstyle.
The process is the same as with regular French braids, just that you stop halfway through and allow the rest to cascade.
5. Curled Half Up Half Down Prom Hairstyles
Is that time of the year coming around? Whether or not prom is just around the corner, make sure you take enough time to plan the essentials. A simple yet elegant half up approach with curled hair is the perfect way to start.
If your locks are on the shorter side, we also recommend checking out our favorite prom hairstyles for short hair.
- Bold new look to inspire the eye-catching styles you'll create
- 1 1/4" Barrel shine master plated technology provides a fast heat-up and massive shine
- Boosted with digital precision - easy-to-use controls for full customizability
6. Casual Half Up Half Down Hairstyles with Braid
If you don’t want to get too fancy with your ‘do, there are plenty of casual hairstyles you can try out. For example, you can never go wrong with a basic, three-strand braid.
It won’t take more than a minute or two for you to be good to go. Also, if you have hip-length locks like the girl above, you can enjoy more eye candy in our complete guide for long hairstyles.
7. Cornrows Half Up Half Down Braid Hairstyles
Part of the beauty of half up half down hairstyles is that they’re both practical and lovely-looking for all hair texture types. In this regard, you can also use one as a protective hairstyle for natural hair.
Cornrows at the base and flowing curls for the rest represent just one example of all the opportunities that await.
8. Pull Through Braid Hairstyles
Anybody can appreciate the intricacy and charm of a pull through braid from a mile away. Although it’s clearly an advanced braiding technique, you can still master it with a half up half down hairstyles tutorial. All in all, it’s an extremely cute hairstyle that is guaranteed to impress.
9. Voluminous Half Up Half Down Curly Hairstyles
There’s no such thing as too much volume, especially when it comes to curly hairstyles. If you’re planning to style your half up hairdo with curls, never shy away from giving it an extra kick of volume. You can easily do so by lifting the top section and pinning it into place accordingly.
10. Twisted Easy Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
Braiding is a wonderful choice for half up hairstyles, but not everyone has the time or patience for learning complex techniques. To be honest, you don’t even have to in order to get a sensational hairstyle.
If you’re on the run, simply twist two thicker bunches of hair and tie them at the middle. It’s an easygoing yet alluring hairstyle that you can obtain without much effort.
- Adjustable waver barrel plates create different levels of waves
- Tourmaline, ceramic technology on plates for reduced frizz and massive shine
- High heat of up to 400 degree fahrenheit + auto off & dual voltage.Care & Cleaning: Spot or Wipe Clean
11. Top Knot Half Up Half Down Bun Hairstyles
It’s pretty much impossible to get bored of top knots. They’re some of the most convenient hairstyles for girls that also look absolutely fab every time. For a half up approach, just wrap the top into a loose and messy bun for instant glam.
12. Wide Plait Hairstyles
Whoever thought that a well-done braid could make such a huge difference in a half up hairstyle? Well, the positive impact is immediately obvious once you see the look. We recommend a wider plait if the rest of your hairstyle will be relatively basic. Call it the pièce de résistance. It most definitely is.
13. Half Up Fishtail Braid Hairstyles
Are three-strand and French braids already too common for you? No need to fret, as we have the perfect technique to satisfy your need for variety. The fishtail braid is sure to blow you away with its elegance. It might take a little more time to learn, but we assure you that the results are worth it.
14. Straight and Curly Half Up Half Down Formal Hairstyles
Oftentimes, it’s difficult to choose between straight or curly hair for a fancy hairstyle. In addition, you’ll always be tempted to experiment with the opposite texture of your natural one.
We’re here to confirm that you don’t have to choose just one. Pick straight for the foundation for your hairstyle and add curls to emphasize the overall look. Ta-da!
15. Cute Half Up Half Down Hairstyles for Short Hair
The shorter your locks are, the more challenging it will be to style them half up half down. However, there are always solutions, even if your hair barely touches your shoulder. Focus on twisting and weaving the top portion and allow the rest to flow naturally.
- Country of origin is China
- Package Dimensions: 6.1 L x 34.9 H x 12.9 W (centimeters)
- Safety warning: See Product Manual Included with item for all safety warnings
16. Half Up Halo Braid
Also known as the crown braid, the halo braid has a distinctive grace that few other hairstyles can match. It’s highly feminine and tasteful, making it your go-to for any special events.
You can achieve the look by wrapping the braids around the crown of your head like a halo. A few loose strands in the front will be the ideal final touch.
17. Donut Bun Easy Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
We all know the struggle of getting that perfectly round, picture-perfect bun. Nevertheless, we now have accessories that can help us out in the process.
You can get a miraculous donut sponge for buns at basically any fashion retailer or beauty supply store nowadays.
Once you have it, section your hair, tie the top into a ponytail and pull it through the bun. After spreading your hair all over the top to cover the sponge, put another hair tie over it to keep the full bun in place.
Finally, use bobby pins to hide any loose ends and hairspray to set everything.
18. Waterfall Braid Half Up Hairstyles
If you want a truly majestic hairstyle, you’re bound to fall in love with the idea of a waterfall braid with curls. Essentially, it’s either a top side or halo braid that has the final strand pulled down instead of through the rest of the braid. The outcome will take your breath away!
19. Half Up Mermaid Hairstyles
Who isn’t completely mesmerized by mermaid hair? You can take one of the biggest trends of the year and shape it into a dreamy half up hairstyle. As expected, the braiding part will be a bit demanding to master. Notwithstanding, the outcome will be a magnet for compliments.
20. Pinned Up Hairstyles
Another useful accessory to keep in mind with half up half down hairstyles is the hair clip. If you’re preparing for a formal get-together, a barrette can be the icing on the cake for your hairdo. In general, the more ornate your barrette is, the simpler the rest of your hairstyle should be.
No products found.
21. Bridal Half Up Half Down Braid Hairstyles
On this note, it’s time we dip into wedding hairstyles for long hair. A beautiful bride deserves nothing less than the very best for their appearance on the unforgettable day.
In saying that, feel free to go all out with braids, floral accessories, and any other details you deem necessary to attain the bridal hairstyle you’ve dreamed of since you were a little girl.
22. Rope Braid Easy Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
We can’t quite put our finger on it, but there’s something truly memorable about rope braids. Although they’re not as nearly as complicated as numerous other braid styles, they’re absolutely gorgeous to see.
Still, if you choose a half up rope braid hairstyles, be prepared for a lot of twisting to get it right.
23. Half Up Triple Braid Hairstyles
When you think you’ve seen it all, you come across a hairstyle that is utterly magnificent. Just look at those stunning braids! Nonetheless, don’t be scared by the apparent complexity.
At its core, the hairstyle is comprised of two fishtail braids – one on each side – and a pull through braid down the middle. Creativity at its finest.
24. Afro Puff Half Up Half Down Curly Hairstyles
If your hair is naturally textured, you don’t even need accessories like sponge donuts to get a voluptuous bun. Heck, you won’t even be required to use half a can of hair spray to keep it in place. A carefully styled half up afro puff bun is just what you need to highlight your enviable texture.
25. Bouffant Easy Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
Are you really a dancing queen at heart? Bring back the 70s with a ravishing bouffant hairstyle! With enough teasing and spraying, you can obtain a half up hairstyle fit for any retro diva. Plus, you know how it is with trends – they always come back every few decades.
- ☀ WE CARE FOR YOUR HAIR! Most dryers can over-dry or even burn your hair. Our Dryer & Volumizer has a unique 3 feature...
- ☀ We designed our blowout hair dryer with an ALCI safety plug (required for U.S. hair dryers)
- ☀ We’ve developed a DOUBLE feature - IONIC technology AND CERAMIC COATING for volume without frizz, designed to...
26. Back to School Half Up Hairstyles
School is stressful enough as it is, so why complicate your life by not knowing what hairstyle to rock on the first day of the semester? Among the easy hairstyles for school you can try is this marvelously messy half up braid. Cute would be an understatement when describing it.
27. Half Up Infinity Braid Hairstyles
If you’re ready to step your styling game up, brace yourself for the ultimate method – the infinity braid. Often regarded as the figure 8 braid, the infinity braid is a breathtaking way to show off your braiding skills. Are you up for the challenge?
28. Elaborate Half Up Half Down Prom Hairstyles
Special occasions call for super special hairstyles. And when you’re in high school, there’s really no event as special as prom.
Therefore, go ahead and play with an over the top hairstyle that you’ll be fond of even years after. We also encourage you to discover our favorite homecoming hairstyles for even more inspiration.
29. Half Up Boxer Braids
Boxer braids have been trending for quite a few years now. However, you don’t always have to sport them as classic braided pigtails. To stand out from the crowd, apply the same boxer braiding technique to only half of your hair. Leave the rest down and shine!
30. Loose Braid Casual Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
If you’re out of ideas, need to leave home ASAP but still want to have a pretty hairstyle, the casual loose braid is here to save the day. Start by twisting two top sections into loose rope braids and bring them together into an equally loose three-strand braid from the middle down. That’s it!
- Ultimate Guide to the Vixen Sew In: Everything You Need to Know
- Love Your Silver Hair, and Color It Bolder!
- 50 Black Cherry Hair Color Ideas for the Sweet & Sour
- 55 Flattering Goddess Braids Ideas to Inspire You!
- 50 Wedge Haircut Ideas for a Retro or Modern Look
31. Half Up Half Down Bun Hairstyles with Corkscrew Curls
We’ll always be devoted fans of long curly hairstyles. If you’ve endured the agonizing process of growing out your hair to resemble that of a Disney princess, you might as well have fun with it.
Wrap the top into a delicate halo bun to beginning with. Then roll up your sleeves and shape the entire bottom part into corkscrew curls.
32. Top Braid Half Up Hairstyles
Not all half up half down hairstyles have to be split evenly between the top and bottom sections. As a matter of fact, you can opt for just a narrow portion on the top for styling.
Take the image above for example. It’s a simple and sweet alternative that you can pick for school, work or even going out with friends.
33. Multiple Rope Braids
If one or two rope braids are impressive, imagine how exciting a full head of them can look like. If you’ve succeeded in getting a grasp on the technique, don’t hesitate to maximize your new skill.
Create a rope halo braid with a long tail and add as many other rope braids into the mix as you desire.
34. Knot-and-Go Half Up Half Down Formal Hairstyles
Here’s another quick half up hairstyle that still has the power to wow onlookers at fancy events. We like to call it the “knot-and-go” because… that’s exactly what it is. Section your hair in half horizontally, use a piece of hair to knot around the middle point, and you’re ready to slay.
35. Half Dutch Braid Pigtails
Dutch braids will always be an eye-catcher in terms of half up hairstyles. Basically, they involve the exact opposite technique of regular braiding styles.
Instead of weaving your locks inwards, you do so with an external approach. For a half up look, stop the braids at the base of your neck and tie the ends into pigtails.
- 💖【Prevent Hair Damage】With anti-static, ceramic, tourmaline ionic and smooth glide coated plates, the hair...
- 💖【Ions for Healthy Silky Hair】With a built-in ionic generator, the hair straightener releases rich negative ions,...
- 💖【Hair Straightener and Curler 2-IN-1】Unique twisted plate gives you the freedom to choose With the Curl and...
36. Bow-Shaped Cute Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
Where are our girly girls at? Boy, do we have a treat for you. If you’re prepared to put your imagination to the test, you can go so far as to recreate accessories using your very own hair. For instance, you can create a chic bow to top off your half up hairstyle. Pretty cool, right?
37. Headband Half Up Half Down Braid Hairstyles
As an alternative, you can apply the same principles for headbands. Even though the technique resembles the crown braid, the results focus on the area above your hairline. Consequently, your braid will glamorously take the place of a traditional headband.
38. Casual Half Up Half Down Hairstyles with Bandanas
All the same, if you do want to dive into the world of hair accessories, there are plenty of options you can choose from. Bandanas, for example, will always do the trick when you’re on the run.
After you have your main half up hairstyle settled, just use the bandana to wrap around whatever hair tie or pin you used. For an extra cuteness boost, pick your bandana according to the rest of your outfit.
39. Loose Halo Braid Half Up Half Down Curly Hairstyles
You know by now that halo braids are some of the most beloved half up half down hairstyles. However, you might not be aware of just how adorable they look with a full head of curls. Even more, a halo braid can help you push your curly locks up for more volume than ever before.
40. Tri-Fold Easy Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but we’re sure that we can all agree on how polished the hairstyle above looks. Using a tri-fold styling method and strategically placed curls, you’ll have a hairdo fit for the classiest dates, parties, and even weddings.
- 1” Inch Ceramic Rotating Barrel ideal for shoulder-length hair between 6-16” length.
- Includes Pre-set Temperatures: Low 370°F for Fine Hair, Medium 390°F for Medium Hair, High 410°F for Coarse Hair
- Includes Adjustable Heat-Up Times: 15 seconds for Fine Hair, 17 seconds for Medium Hair, 19 seconds for Coarse Hair
41. Half Up Pierced Braid Hairstyles
Contrary to what many may believe, piercings can be used in far more creative ways than in your skin. So much so, in fact, that they can become the central element for your whole hairstyle.
If your braiding and bun skills are on point, sprinkle some attitude into your hairstyle by lining one section with piercing-like rings.
42. Ombre Highlights Half Up Half Down Braid Hairstyles
Without a doubt in the world, ombre hair will be popping for many years to come. If you went ahead and decided to boldly rock two colors in your hair, you should definitely think about accentuating the difference as much as you can.
A half up braided style is just what you need to make those ombre highlights come to life.
43. Three Way Fishtail Braids
Most of the time, a simple half up fishtail braid will be enough to draw all the admiration you could hope for. But if you want to add even more magic to your hairstyle, you can go above and beyond with a three-way fishtail braid.
One fishtail on each side at the top and a final one going down your hair and you’ll be sparkling like a diamond.
44. Swirly Cute Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
Bobby pins are a must for any girl who wants to try her hand at hairstyling. Unfortunately, you still have to sharpen your skills to use them properly. When you do though, you’ll be able to accomplish fantastically flowing half up hairstyles like the one depicted above.
45. Half Up Half Down Bun Hairstyles with Side Braids
Combined, braids and buns can result in one of the most cosmetically pleasing half up hairstyles around. Firstly, choose how many braids you want to create on each side. After that, braid them to the middle of your locks. To finish up, tie the ends into a carefree bun.
No products found.
46. Faux Hawks with Half Up Braids
A girl with a faux hawk will always exude major confidence and that unmistakable strong female energy. Although full faux hawks are as admirable as can be, half up ones are just as dazzling.
Throw in some piercings, crystals, flowers or other tiny accessories and you have a brilliant hairstyle to show off.
47. Side-Swept Easy Half Up Half Down Hairstyles
You would be surprised to find out just how impactful the smallest styling gesture can be. If you have long hair, take any type of half up hairstyle and sweep the entire bottom part to the side.
By placing your locks over one shoulder, you’ll get an additional dash of femininity for your overall appearance.
48. French Braids with Low Ponytails and Hair Scarves
Just like bandanas, hair scarves can bring personality to your half up hairdo. In the case illustrated above, a half up French braid can reach a whole new level a finesse by tying a silk scarf around the bottom. If you’re wearing a basic outfit, use the scarf as a splash of color and patterns.
49. Casual Half Up Half Down Hairstyles with Loose Bun and Braid
Want to switch things up without getting too flashy? A loose styling technique will always take the edge off an otherwise overly dolled up look.
If you’re getting ready for a regular day and you still want to look your best, arrange the top into a super loose bun and add a braid that’s just as loose to one side.
50. Glittery Half Up Hairstyles
Conversely, you can get out of your comfort zone with an eccentric hairstyle. The ultra glittery hairstyle shown above is perfect for a festival, but ultimately it can work whenever and wherever you want it to. Girl, you do you, no matter how simple or extra that may be.
- ✅DRY YOUR HAIR IN LESS THAN HALF THE TIME — This salon hair dryer is equipped with a quiet and powerful professional...
- ✅TRUE IONIC GENERATOR — Our hair ionic blow dryer has an improved dedicated ionic generator with a ceramic...
- ✅ COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT — Our engineers have crafted this ionic blow dryer to be small, light and extremely...
So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
Overall, these half up half down hairstyles are bound to get you excited for playing with your look.
As a parting thought, we recommend that you try out multiple half up hairstyles. That way, boredom will never get the chance to settle in.
- Unicorn Hair Without the Salon — You’ll Have a Rainbow Shine All the Time
- Today’s Best Pink Hair Dye Choices For At Home Color
- Ultimate Guide to the Vixen Sew In: Everything You Need to Know
- Love Your Silver Hair, and Color It Bolder!
- Madison Reed Hair Dye For Home Review
- Arctic Fox Hair Dye Reviews: Is It Worth Buying?
- The 13 Best Texture Powder Picks You Need for Great Hair This Year
Last update on 2021-10-16 at 22:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API