Are you under the impression that rocking short hair means limited styling options?
You would be surprised to find out how many updos for short hair you can try out.
From long bobs to pixie haircuts, you can enjoy a myriad of hairstyles that will bring out the best in your short and sassy strands.
Put together your very own hairstyle heaven with the ideas below!
1. Updos for Very Short Hair
What better way to start our list of updos for short hair than with a classy hairstyle? Regardless of how short your hair is, don’t shy away from using elegant hair accessories. For instance, these two dazzling hair pins will make any updo shine.
2. Chignon Hairstyles
When researching updo hairstyles, you will often find that chignons top all lists. If you’re ever in doubt about styling your playful locks for a formal occasion, we always recommend that you consider this hairstyle.
3. Easy Updos for Short Hair You Can DIY
What if you don’t have a lot of time at hand? Some updo hairstyles for short hair are so simple that you can DIY to perfection in a few minutes. For example, this half up half down hairstyles requires just a quick twist and you’re ready to go.
4. Elegant Braids
One of the many beauties of braids is that they cater to all situations. While you can use them for an urban glam look, you can also incorporate them into any fancy hairstyle. Here you can see how to braid your way to the updo of your dreams.
5. Updos for Short Hair Wedding
Speaking of refined hairdos, we couldn’t have possibly tackled updos for short hair without considering short bridal hairstyles. If you want to tie the knot fabulously, think about adding some delicate accessories in your hair. A few white roses are always an excellent way to start.
- Delivers your optimal heat setting based on your hair profile inputs to ensure beautiful, long-lasting curls.
6. Updos for Short Afro-Textured Hair
Afro-textured hair is a dream come true for women who long for intricate hairstyles. Even if your corkscrew curls are super short, you can twist them in the back and let them unravel and bounce around freely at the top.
7. Vintage Hairstyles
Retro hairdos are almost synonymous with fine tastes. Although this category of updos for short hair requires a bit more time, patience, and expertise for styling, the results will be worth it. The graceful inwards curls are the key to success.
8. Pinned and Curled Hairstyles
Ladies with bob haircuts can easily rely on this kind of hairstyle for a speedy yet memorable look. All you need is a curling iron, a few bobby pins and a generous amount of hairspray. Curl your tips, pin them one into the other and spray them in place.
9. Updos for Short Fine Hair
Fine hair can prove to be tricky from time to time when styling is in discussion. If you want to create the illusion that your hair is thicker or more voluminous, bouffant hairstyles are just what you need. Tease it up, ladies!
10. All Curly Hairstyles
Have naturally curly hair and love it? Use an abundance of pins to swirl your way to one of the most enchanting updos for short hair. Like with most other ravishing hairstyles, hairspray is mandatory, especially if you want the updo to resist throughout the night.
- ❤AUTOMATIC CURLING IRON: The latest cordless curling iron, say goodbye to the messy and tangled cable design. Without...
- ❤ANTI-TANGLED DESIGN: Unlike the curl chamber that stuck and even burn your hair, the cordless curling wand adopts the...
- ❤PERSONALIZED TEMPERATURE & TIMER SETTINGS: The automatic hair curler focuses on delivering personalized experience to...
11. French Braided Updos for Short Hair
Think braids won’t work on short hair? Challenge accepted! As long as you have any hairstyle a bit longer than a pixie cut, you can experiment with various braiding styles. For example, this loose French braid beautifully ends in a tiny twisted bun.
12. Pompadour Hairstyles
Time and time again Rihanna proves that she is a veritable hair queen. Whether we see her with traditional African hairstyles or short and spikey cuts, she always slays. In this photo, she opted for a lavish pompadour to flatter her shorter locks.
13. Crown Braids
Another braiding technique you can look into is the crown braid. Also known as a tiara or halo braid, this hairstyle involves creating a French braid across the crown of your head. Alternatively, braid all the way around to create a halo effect.
14. Crisscross Updos for Short Hair
This pretty hairstyle is as easy as 1, 2, 3, not to mention that it works for hair of all lengths. Simply take a few strands on each side and twist them in a crisscross manner, pinning them in the center. You will be radiant!
15. Loose Updos for Short Hair
While tightly styled updos are obviously eye-catching, loose hairstyles have a unique charm of their own. In addition to this, they stand out against other fancy hairstyles through the lack of rules. Feel free to style your hair loosely as you please!
- 1” Inch Ceramic Rotating Barrel ideal for shoulder-length hair between 6-16” length.
- Includes Pre-set Temperatures: Low 370°F for Fine Hair, Medium 390°F for Medium Hair, High 410°F for Coarse Hair
- Includes Adjustable Heat-Up Times: 15 seconds for Fine Hair, 17 seconds for Medium Hair, 19 seconds for Coarse Hair
16. Bob Haircut Updos
This is yet another inspiring hairstyle for women with bob haircuts. It goes by the same principle of twisting, pinning and spraying in place. Like with the updo style we mentioned above, you shouldn’t be afraid of leaving a few stray strands in front.
17. Back Braided Updos for Short Hair
Instead of creating a tiara or crown braid, you can apply a similar technique at the back of your head. Make sure you braid horizontally, just above your nape. To glamorize the overall look, add some sparkling accessories like the ones shown in this photo.
18. Faux Hawks
Ah, faux hawks, what would we do without you? One thing’s certain, if this concept didn’t exist, we would have ourselves shaving the sides of our head more often than we’d like. Instead, we can fake it till we make it with class.
19. Headband Updos for Short Hair
As far as accessories that work well with updos for short hair are concerned, headbands are also a must have. They can help you wrap your short strands up easily, without the need of any additional accessories.
20. Twists and Braids
You can frequently find small braids and twists in updos for short hair, but what if you combine them? The outcome is nothing less than breathtaking. Another major advantage is that this hairstyle can be applied to long pixie haircuts and bobs alike.
- 30 Party Hairstyles to Look Fabulous No Matter the Occasion!
- 50 Updo Hairstyles for Weddings and the Perfect ‘I Do’
- 50 Jolly Christmas Hairstyles Fit for All Parties
21. Twisted Low Buns
Want an effortless yet unforgettable trendy hairstyle to complement your short hair? You will be pleasantly surprised to find out that twisted low buns are always in fashion. Just twist your hair into a spiral and secure the bun in place.
22. Messy Updos for Short Hair
It’s easy to understand why messy and classy are now almost the same concept. A few loose strands and a teased top can go a long way for any updos for short hair. Moreover, you can adapt them for fancy and casual occasions all the same.
23. Half Up Braided Updos for Short Hair
Hairstyles that are half up half down are wonderful for multiple reasons. One of the main ones is that they can be used for short, medium or long hair equally well. For shorter hair, braid two strands on each side and connect them in the middle.
24. Pixie Updo Hairstyles
Naturally, the shorter your hair is, the harder it will be to use hair ties or other similar accessories. Nonetheless, one hair accessory that should be part of your staple pieces is the metallic headband. Applying one to your pixie cut can create the superb illusion of an updo.
25. Knotted Faux Hawks
We love faux hawks so much that we strongly believe they deserve a secondary entry on our list, this time with a different technique. Another way to create a faux hawk is to knot your hair on the fanned part.
- Country of origin is China
- Package Dimensions: 6.1 L x 34.9 H x 12.9 W (centimeters)
- Safety warning: See Product Manual Included with item for all safety warnings
26. Half Up Twisted Updos for Short Hair
Remember what we said about half up hairstyles for short hair? Well, this example strengthens our claim. You can obtain a picture-perfect hairstyle by twisting pieces of hair on each side with a half up half down result.
27. Bridesmaids Updos for Short Hair
We’re accustomed to talking all about wedding hairstyles, but we usually focus on the bride. But how about bridesmaids? If you’re one of the best friends of the lady of the hour and you have short hair, don’t hesitate to let yourself be inspired by this hairstyle.
28. Chic Center Braids
Do you prefer more of a high fashion touch to your hairstyles? Even if you have shorter hair, you can experiment with this fantastic hairdo. What we love most about it is that the braid in the middle creates the illusion of a mohawk in a stylish way.
29. Mini Pull Through Braids
You will usually see pull through braids on very long hair. You don’t need to worry though, you can adapt them for your neck-length locks. While you might not be able to have numerous knots throughout the braid, you can rock at least two flawlessly.
30. Spiral Braid Updos for Short Hair
Can you say adorable? We love the imagination applied for this hairstyle, and the way the braid was introduced creatively. It starts with a braid on the top, which spirals into a cute, small, twisted bun at the end.
- ☀ WE CARE FOR YOUR HAIR! Most dryers can over-dry or even burn your hair. Our Dryer & Volumizer has a unique 3 feature...
- ☀ We designed our blowout hair dryer with an ALCI safety plug (required for U.S. hair dryers)
- ☀ We’ve developed a DOUBLE feature - IONIC technology AND CERAMIC COATING for volume without frizz, designed to...
31. French Twists
Another incredibly elegant hairstyle is the French twist. While it works the best with straight hair, it can also be tailored for wavy or curly locks too. Believe us, ladies – you can’t go wrong with this one for black tie events.
32. Side Braided Updos for Short Hair
Braids on one side are one of the most popular options among updos for short hair. In this case, an ample plait was braided loosely to one side of a long bob. It’s a terrific hairstyle for girls who sport side parts.
33. Double Afro Puffs
Yet another trendy updo for afro-textured hair is the 90s-inspired space buns. They are also referred to as double puffs, and they’re guaranteed to bring out your inner geek girl. The results are sweet, chic and irresistible.
34. Ribbon Updos for Short Hair
Remember when we were little girls and we adored putting ribbons and bows on everything? Well, you can bring back your childhood passion without a care in the world, as bows are totally in. All you have to do is part your hair half up half down and tie a ribbon in the middle.
35. Cute Headwraps
Just like headbands and tiara, headwraps are delightful accessories regarding updos for short hair. If you don’t have a headwrap, you can also use a scarf for a similar effect. Make sure you leave plenty of loose strands in the front.
- ✅DRY YOUR HAIR IN LESS THAN HALF THE TIME — This salon hair dryer is equipped with a quiet and powerful professional...
- ✅TRUE IONIC GENERATOR — Our hair ionic blow dryer has an improved dedicated ionic generator with a ceramic...
- ✅ COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT — Our engineers have crafted this ionic blow dryer to be small, light and extremely...
36. Twisted Bangs
Sometimes, a small touch can go a long way for your hairstyle. For example, ladies with long bangs can twist them for a fast and fantastic look. While it won’t require a lot of time, it will be remarkable for sure.
37. Boho Updos for Short Hair
Release your inner boho chick! Another half up half down updo for you is this spectacular fishtail braid idea. Instead of braiding all of your hair with the fishtail technique, use it just for two large chunks of hair on the sides. Don’t forget the flowers!
38. Side Twisted Updos for Short Hair
As you have most likely noticed, twisting is essential for styling short hair. In this example, you can see how four side twists were styled into an ultra chic updo. Feel free to tease the top for added volume without much effort.
39. Half Up Top Knots
You might not be able to rock a full top knot if your hair is really short, but you can always get the second best option. Part your hair like you would with any other half up hairstyle and carelessly tie the top part in a messy bun.
40. French Roll Updos for Short Hair
Similar to the French twist, the French roll is also an unmistakable sign of refinement. Nonetheless, the styling technique is a bit different, focusing on the inwards “rolling part”. You can also add a pretty like accessory on one side.
- Today’s Best Pink Hair Dye Choices For At Home Color
- Madison Reed Hair Dye For Home Review
- Arctic Fox Hair Dye Reviews: Is It Worth Buying?
41. Side Fishtail Braids
Fishtail braids have made our list again, this time with a one-sided approach. If you want a hairstyle that has more chances of making heads turn, you might want to go with this one. The fishtail braid is wide, thick and definitely an original approach to hairstyling.
42. African American Updos for Short Hair
If you want to grow out your natural hair in a healthy way, we recommend that you look into protective hairstyles. With the help of safe braid extensions, you can make your super short locks a little bit longer, like with this braided updo.
43. Slicked Back and Small Braid Hairstyles
While this hairstyle isn’t technically an updo, it has a similar effect that ladies with extremely short hair will appreciate. The most significant “ingredient” is to slick your hair back entirely. After that, create a small and tight braid on one side.
44. Diagonal Braided Updos for Short Hair
Why go with the crowd when your hairstyle can be totally out of the box? Instead of braiding only on one side or straight down your head, try a diagonal approach. You can end it all in a timeless twisted bun tucked gently to the side.
45. Khaleesi Braids
If you haven’t heard of Game of Thrones by now, there are fair chances that you have been living under a rock. All jokes aside, one of the most unforgettable characters in the series is Daenerys Targaryen, the Khaleesi. Her braided hairstyle has inspired this charming look.
- Latest Design: 3 in 1 multi-function, Straightener Brush Straightener And Curle 3 in 1 function, help you save money so...
- Smart Anti-Perm: The latest Straightener Brush has 12 temperature control levels to choose from for fast and stable...
- Hairdressing exclusive: independent innovative design curly hair / straight hair / combing 3 in 1 function, the...
46. Triple Buns
Even though your hair needs to be a bit longer for this one, you can nail it if you have shoulder-length locks. Multiply a regular twisted bun by three and you’ll get a delicate and creative hairstyle to spice up your outfit.
47. Natural Updos for Short Hair
Want to go full-out natural? Embrace your natural afro-textured hair wholeheartedly with a hairstyle like this. Aside from the admirable updo part, we also like the puffed up bangs in the front. We recommend it for a modern-retro look.
48. Side Chignon Updos for Short Hair
Women with wavy or curly hair will adore this hairstyle. Gently pull all of your strands to the side and pin them into a glamorous chignon. This hairstyle is fit for even the fanciest of events, from cocktail parties to weddings.
49. Pinned with Tiara Hairstyles
If you want to make your pinned updo even more appealing, all you need is a thin, classic accessory. This tiara-headband may not seem like much, but it can make the whole difference for the outcome of your appearance.
50. Pin Up Curly Bangs
Finally, we’ll end our list on a glam note with pin-up updos for short hair. We admire the versatility of this hairstyle, as it can be applied on any hair texture. The voluminous, curly bangs in the front are truly the cherry on top to leave a marvelous impression.
- Bold new look to inspire the eye-catching styles you'll create
- 1 1/4" Barrel shine master plated technology provides a fast heat-up and massive shine
- Boosted with digital precision - easy-to-use controls for full customizability
So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
To put it all in a nutshell, updos for short hair are not only possible, but also numerous, varied, and totally awesome!
Don’t ever let styling get in the way of your bold haircut idea.
We promise that there are more than enough styling options to get you excited about any courageous makeover.
Even if you already have short hair, we’re positive that you’ll be inspired by at least a part of these brilliant ideas. What’s your top 5?
- Unicorn Hair Without the Salon — You’ll Have a Rainbow Shine All the Time
- Today’s Best Pink Hair Dye Choices For At Home Color
- Ultimate Guide to the Vixen Sew In: Everything You Need to Know
- Love Your Silver Hair, and Color It Bolder!
- Madison Reed Hair Dye For Home Review
Last update on 2021-10-16 at 22:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API