After being one of the most loved styles of the 70s, shag haircuts are now once again among the hottest hair trends! Who would have thought that the shag would be back and booming decades later?
Probably quite a lot of people. This feisty, carefree and attitude-filled haircut works amazingly well for almost any face shape and hair type.
So slide till the end to get inspired and pick the shag hairstyle of your dreams!
1. Medium Shag Haircuts
AS we present new hairstyle ideas, we always like to start with a balanced option. For example, one of the best modern shag haircuts you can rock is this medium-length, all-natural, choppy layers look.
2. Beach Hair Shag
The concept of beach hair falls under the broader category of modern adaptations of the timeless shag haircut. Just as the name suggests, the hairstyle aims to reproduce that sun-kissed, post-time at the beach look.
3. Short Shag Haircuts
Looking for a more playful approach to your shag haircut? Go short! In this particular case, the shag look was paired with a pixie bob hairstyle with brown highlights.
4. Shoulder-Length Hair with Sleek Layers
Hard as it may seem to believe at first, not all shag haircuts are messy. While most shags are associated with lots of layers, messy ones, you can also keep them sleek and styled, as above.
A sleek shag can be worn even on more formal occasions and is also a perfect fit for ladies more attracted to classy styles.
5. Long Shag Haircuts
To obtain the picture-perfect shag with long hair, you need to go above and beyond with the layers – the shorter and choppier, the better! This helps create a dynamic silhouette, and also makes for a boho style.
- OUAI WAVE SPRAY. Get beach waves without stepping foot in the ocean. The Wave Spray gives hair the perfect amount of...
- GREAT FOR ALL HAIR TYPES. Created with rice protein instead of sea salt, the Wave Spray is safe for all hair types, even...
- OUAI (or “way”) means yes in that casual, Parisian way. We believe in effortless routines and good for you...
6. Shag Haircuts with Bangs
A wonderful way to personalize your hairstyle is to pair those wild layers with bangs. We will be showcasing several bang styles throughout this list but we started with this classic set of full, arched bangs.
7. Cool and Flirty Short Shag Hairstyle
For a flirty and cool hairstyle, go for a bob-length shag haircut that you can style simply by running your fingers through your tresses. The blonde highlights on blonde hair are also a lovely touch.
8. A-Line Shaggy Bobs
Now that bob hairstyles are in discussion, talking about the shaggy A-line is a must. Angles are everything when it comes to cute shag haircuts, so it’s natural that an angled bob would serve as the perfect outline for one.
9. Shag Haircuts for Thin Hair
If you struggle with styling your thin hair, we recommend a shorter shag. A choppy hairstyle with a bob or even lob (or long bob) base, for instance, can help add extra volume. As the locks are shorter, they won’t be as pulled down as long hair.
10. The Asymmetrical Shag Bob
Speaking of A-line bobs, why not try an asymmetrical version for your shag? The difference doesn’t even have to be dramatic. An inch or two of asymmetry should do the trick, in most cases.
11. Shag Haircuts for Older Women
Regardless of your age, you can look and feel fabulous during any chapter of your life with a sassy hairstyle, such a shag. Raquel Welch proves so time and time again, like in this flattering shot.
Also, ladies that caught the 70s shag haircut in its heyday can now experiment with its modern and shorter versions.
12. Straight Shaggy Hairstyles
We will be tackling types of hair throughout our list of shag haircuts, from curly to wavy and, in this case, straight hair. Get inspired by Dianna Agron’s gorgeous hairstyle – perfect length, master layers!
13. Jagged Bangs – Baby Bangs-Style
If you’re genuinely not afraid to leave your comfort zone, consider an unconventional shag haircut with bangs – almost baby bangs – and make these choppy too!
14. Gypsy Shag Haircuts
There are many vintage haircuts that can inspire the nostalgic, and this ravishing gypsy shag hairstyle is one of them. It’s a great look for medium to long hair, one made even prettier by the lush side-swept bangs and short layers.
15. Curly Shag Haircuts
If you were lucky enough to be born with natural corkscrew curls, never shy away from flaunting what you got from your mamma. In other words, find a hairstyle that accentuates your ringlets, such as this shaggy haircut.
- 50 Unbelievable Easy Hairstyles for School
- Keep Them Looking Lovely: 50 Heartwarming Flower Girl Hairstyles
- 50 Cool Ways to Rock Scene & Emo Hairstyles for Girls
16. Short and Choppy Bangs
What better way to complement your choppy layers than with equally choppy bangs? Instead of sporting eyebrow-length bangs, you can take a walk on the wild and modern side with a short and rebellious fringe.
17. 70s Shag Haircuts
Whether your bangs are slightly parted, swept carelessly to the side, or messily down the front, rock them with your head held high for some retro glam.
18. Long Bangs and Shaggy Hair
An amazing way to highlight your shaggy locks even more is to wear them with long, about nose-length bangs. It’s the traditional boho approach to this hairstyle, and ideal if you want to get closer to the retro shag haircut.
19. Pixie Shag Haircuts
Admire and get inspired by this shaggy pixie cut! Make the pixie as short or long as you want to, but remember: styling is key! Also, we recommend going for longer bangs no matter the length of the pixie.
20. Casual Shag Hairstyles
If you don’t want to go too over the top with your shag, but still want to make it memorable, go for a casual style like above. Go for a middle part, keep the hair around shoulder-length. The bangs are optional.
- 5.6 Oz.
- Salon Born, Client Approved
- Package Height: 7.2 Inches
21. Shaggy Inverted Bobs
It’s easy to see why inverted bobs are among the most voluminous cuts and trendiest hairstyles. Add even more volume by cutting in choppy layers – shag effect guaranteed!
22. Shoulder-Length Shag
Shaggy hairstyles look arguably the best with shoulder-length hair. You can appreciate the layers and get that much-needed kick of volume without struggling with the maintenance afterward.
23. Layered Shag Haircuts
It may seem redundant to label a shag haircut as layered, but we want to emphasize the role of this cutting technique. As this example goes to show, the short and gradual layers are the icing on the cake for a shaggy hairstyle.
24. Boho Hairstyles
You will frequently find the term boho associated with shag haircuts – for quite obvious reasons too. To emphasize the bohemian part of your shaggy hairstyle, make and keep your bangs choppy.
25. Dramatic Hairstyles
We constantly encourage our readers to get a hairstyle that fully represents their personality. So bold girls can look at style icons like Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord for some extreme shag hairstyle inspiration.
- 🌈 【6 DIFFERENT COLORS FOR DIY HAIR STYLE】Gold, Green, Gray, Blue, Purple, Red(more like pink), you can mix 2-3...
- 🌈 【FEATURES & EFFECT】Easy use and clean, Refreshing fragrance and portable. If you do not want your hand stained,...
- 🌈 【PERFECT FOR COSTUME PARTY】The colorful hair color wax is perfect for all kinds of Festivals, Parties, Stag &...
26. Shag Haircuts for Round Faces
A shaggy hairstyle is one of the best ways to compliment a round face shape. By focusing the layers and angles inwards, you can successfully create a slimmer face effect. Add side-swept bangs for extra cuteness.
27. Wavy Shag Haircuts
Shag haircuts and wavy hair truly go hand in hand. This is the ideal hair texture for a shag as the wavy layered locks will fall gracefully into place on their own.
28. Curtain Bangs on Ombre Hair
One characteristic that both retro and modern shag haircuts have in common is the way they style bangs. One of the most common and also coolest approaches is going for curtain bangs.
29. Colorful Shag Hairstyles
To put the spotlight on the rebellious side of a shag, couple it with a new hair color. Considering that shag haircuts are typically wild and rebellious, play around with the liveliest of colors, such as this rich green.
30. Black Shag Haircuts
Halle Berry can rock a short shag quite like no other. The renowned actress is well known for her choppy hairstyles and especially for their bold shortness and spunk. This goes to show that a shag can suit women of all skin tones, face shapes, and personalities.
- 50 Glamorous Ways To Rock Box Braids
- Red Hair Color | Spice Up Your Life with These 50 Ideas
- Goddess Braids | 55 Stunning Ideas You’ll Fall in Love With!
31. Side Part Hairstyles
Contrary to popular belief, shag haircuts are just as head-turning with a side part as they are with curtain bangs. Indeed, retro shags cuts are almost always middle-parted and their modern-day counterparts open the way to experimentation.
32. Choppy Shag Haircuts
If you want to get as much attitude as possible out of your haircut, go for extremely choppy layers. Also, experiment with different lengths for the layers. For example, try short layers on top and longer ones as you go down.
33. Pop Shag Hairstyles
Remember when celebs like Mandy Moore, Meg Ryan, or Alexa Chung rocked a shag? Recreate their look for a fun and girly hairstyle. The one above, for example based on a short bob with progressive, angled layers that frame the face.
34. Sexy Shag Haircuts
The sexiest shag haircuts are often the messiest and most careless ones. Counterintuitive as it may seem, they stand out through their reckless glow and as a statement of an outgoing personality.
35. 2000s Hairstyles
If we were to talk about pop icons of the 2000s, there’s no doubt that Britney Spears would be among the top three of that decade. She was a trendsetter in both clothes and hairstyles, and this long, choppy, and thoroughly layered hairstyle is surely one of her most famous looks.
- Raven wings, stormy night skies, and hair as black as your heart - Transylvania is the perfect fit for achieving all...
- #AFProTip: Try adding a drop or two of Transylvania to our Arctic Mist diluter to get a beautiful icy blue!
- Made only from vegan ingredients with no animal by products. No harmful chemicals in Arctic Fox Hair Color that damage...
36. Goth-Inspired Hairstyles
Were you expecting to find a mullet-based haircut that looks this outstanding? We’d guess no. However, this deliciously dark, mysterious, and goth-inspired shag haircut proves us all wrong!
37. Retro Shag Haircuts
We will go back to the 70s for this entry, with a gorgeous, retro-inspired shag. While the hair is on the long side, the many layers make it easier to style and maintain.
38. Wispy Shag Bob Haircuts
Ladies with fine hair should definitely keep shag bob haircuts in mind when booking their next hair appointment. This is a very flattering style as it helps add natural volume to the hair.
39. Shag Cut with Soft Curls
Yet another way to adorn a shaggy hairstyle is with soft curls. This look works best if your hair is naturally curly or very wavy, so have some fun with those tousled locks and shaggy bangs!
40. Cute Shag Haircuts
This particular short shag style is so easy to wear, that gals of all ages can rock it! Don’t hesitate to go for this all-around shorter haircut that combines flirty with feathered layers.
- This item is not a Tester
- Packaging may vary
- Beauty and personal care product
41. Shag Hairstyles for Square Faces
Razor-like jawlines have a unique charm of their own, that can be made all the more stunning when paired with a hairstyle that complements them. For example, a shag haircut with softer layers will balance out the features.
42. Long Layered Shags
Short layers on long hair have been trending for as far back as one can remember. They work seamlessly together to create a balanced yet playful hairstyle. Moreover, they are one of the definitive traits of the modern shag.
43. Shaggy Bangs
Bring those bangs to life by making them shaggy too! Focus on full bangs that start from the crown of the head and continue with plenty of short and jagged layers.
44. Shag Haircuts for Thick Hair
Shaggy hairstyles can work miracles on thin locks and thick hair alike. Accentuate the natural thickness of the hair and get a fearless look, all in one!
45. Ombre Shag Hairstyles
Bring some color to your new shag by going for ombre hair. We’re sure you already know all about this coloring technique, but we wanted to draw attention to how easy it can contribute to an eye-catching hairstyle.
- 30 Party Hairstyles to Look Fabulous No Matter the Occasion!
- 50 Updo Hairstyles for Weddings and the Perfect ‘I Do’
- 50 Jolly Christmas Hairstyles Fit for All Parties
46. Platinum Shag Hairstyles
For an unforgettable impression, go for platinum blonde! This has been one of the top-trending hair colors for years now, and we’re certain that it will still be a favorite among women for years to come.
47. Classic Shag
A classic shag haircut will always focus on the top part of your hair as the pièce de résistance. In other words, all attention will be drawn to the short and layered top while the rest of the hair flows down naturally.
48. Curly Shag with Bangs
Shag haircuts with bangs are a very flattering choice for gals with curly hair. The fact that the locks have a curly texture pave the way for effortless bangs that perfectly complement the whole look.
49. Fiery Hairstyles
You can go all out with the colors for a shag and add some spice by blending various shades of red. The results will be spicy, fiery red, and sure to make heads turn.
50. Emo Hairstyles – The Shag Version
Curious as it may seem at first, emo hairstyles and shag haircuts have quite a lot in common. From the short layers on long hair to the voluminous top and sleek bottom, you can easily consider interchanging them.
- Save Time & Save Energy - Equipped with extra-long, 100% tourmaline ceramic plates, MCH smart temperature heat-system...
- For All Hair Types - The 2 in 1 straightener and curling iron have been programmed with 6 digital temperature settings...
- Make Hair Smooth & Silky - BESTOPE 1 inch professional hair iron made with 3D floating plates adjusting to compress your...
So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
To conclude, shag haircuts have taken over our hearts, for sure. Aside from being truly impressed by their massive comeback, we also admire and love the versatility and funkiness that comes with them.
We warmly recommend a shaggy hairstyle to any girl or woman who wants to go against the grain and rock a cool look every day – and an almost effortless one too!
So what do you say, which of the shag haircuts and hairstyles is your favorite?
- 50 Glamorous Ways To Rock Box BraidsClassy, versatile, sexy, and chic all at the same time, box braids are one of the most popular […]
- Red Hair Color | Spice Up Your Life with These 50 IdeasWe couldn’t be more excited to get into one of the most daring shades you can try out […]
- 50 Unbelievable Easy Hairstyles for SchoolWe know just how important it is to stay within this timeline, which is why we made a […]
- Goddess Braids | 55 Stunning Ideas You’ll Fall in Love With!In addition to box braids and cornrows, goddess braids are some of the loveliest traditional braided hairstyles for […]
- Gray Hair Ideas You’ll Love + 50 Shades & HairstylesA few years ago, we probably wouldn’t have thought that gray hair would become a major trend. But […]
- Brown Hair With Blonde Highlights: 55 Wonderfully IdeasBrown hair with blonde highlights has been one of the cutest hair trends for as far back as […]
- Natural Hairstyles for Black Hair 50 Gorgeous IdeasBlack hair is certainly the favorite of many women because it can be seen that this color gives […]
Last update on 2021-10-16 at 22:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API