Hair loss is common in both men and women. In men, the receding hairline or baldness sees it. With women, it can be thinning hair or bald spots, which usually appear at the top of the head. Any number of factors can cause hair loss.
What Causes Hair Loss?
- Age is the most common reason for both genders. According to research, 80% of European males are bald or have receding hairlines by the time they are 80 years old. Some men may start experiencing baldness from as young as 30 years old.
- Hormones play a major role in our bodies, including hair loss or growth. Various hormones affect our hair, nails, and even teeth. In pregnant women, there are higher estrogen levels, which promotes hair growth and limits hair shedding. Women can experience excessive shedding shortly after giving birth as the estrogen levels stabilize. The hormones used to treat menopause can also cause hair loss in some women. In men, the DHT androgen hormone can affect their hair growth.
- Men sensitive to DHT may experience a receding hairline around their temples or have thinner hair overall. Women who are experiencing menopause also experience hair thinning and hair loss.
- Your lifestyle choices can greatly impact hair loss. A diet high in sugar and processed foods can have a negative impact on your hair growth. Smoking and drug use have also been blamed for slow follicle production.
- Styling is one of the biggest culprits for receding hair among women, especially the hairline. Weaves, wigs, cornrows, and braiding cause enormous stress on the hairline and scalp. Heat is nobody’s friend. Now imagine going from braids to relaxing and then wearing a weave. The scalp can’t breathe, the hair is pulled constantly, and there will be negative results over time. This kind of hair loss is called traction alopecia. The good news is that it’s reversible when spotted early.
- Sometimes it comes down to the genes. No matter what you do, if your genes are predisposed to hair loss, you may have to accept it.
Other possible causes of hair loss:
- Scarring alopecia
- Adverse reaction to birth control
There isn’t a proven cure for hair loss, but there are several treatments you can use to slow down hair loss or even prevent it. The sooner you start treating a receding hairline, the better, so never ignore any symptoms you may experience.
Minoxidil is a hair growth medication that is available in OTC. It stimulates growth by promoting blood flow to your scalp. It’s available as a topical liquid or can be used as a foam. Some people take it as an oral treatment, though this is not common. To experience the desired results with Minoxidil, you have to use it continuously. Some recommend combining minoxidil and finasteride for the best way to combat receding hair. Finasteride will combat the negative effects of DHT on your scalp, while minoxidil will promote growth.
Finasteride is a prescription drug created to help with male hair loss. It reduces the levels of DHT in the body. Less DHT means better blood circulation in the scalp and a longer growth period for the follicles. Like Minoxidil, this drug also needs continuous usage to work effectively. The effects will wear off once you stop using it.
As the famous saying goes, we are what we eat. This is also applicable to hair growth. Our diet contributes to the health of our hair and skin. Ensure your diet is rich in iron, zinc, protein and Omega 3 for optimum hair growth. Vit A ( apples, most vegetables) is great for cell growth, and Vit C (citrus fruits) helps your body absorb all that iron. Vit D (dairy products) helps grow new follicles, while Vit E (grains) is a powerful antioxidant. Use these along with a healthy diet to try and reduce stress and anxiety levels.
Some people consider hair loss shampoos a gimmick, and while some swear by them, we say it can’t hurt to try. Look for those that contain ketoconazole and palmetto, as these stop the effect of DHT on the scalp. You can also use these shampoos in conjunction with essential oils. Peppermint and lavender oils are said to help with hair growth and thicken hair. You can also include a growth serum in your toolkit. Hairlust has one of the best hair growth serum products on the market.
- Hair Transplants
This is a more permanent solution but more costly. There are two ways of doing a hair transplant: follicular unit transplantation (FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE). With FUT, a piece of your scalp with healthy hair growth is removed and repurposed in the required area. In FUE, the surgeon relocates individual hair follicles, usually from the back of the head to the bald spot. Besides being expensive, this process can be very time-consuming.
- Low-Level Laser Therapy
Laser therapy is non-invasive and painless. A laser stimulates hair growth on the head by increasing blood circulation. Like hair transplants, you will need more than one session with some technicians saying you must continue indefinitely. We don’t know if this would work for most people, as the treatments can be costly.
Other possible treatments:
- Hair growth serum
- Head massages
- Platelet-rich plasma therapy
As a precaution, always approach your doctor or dermatologist when you see any hair loss symptoms. You can get several tests to determine what kind of hair loss you are experiencing and what treatments you could pursue. It’s also important to note that different ethnicities respond to treatment differently, so it’s not a one size fits all approach when it comes to treatment.
Consulting with a doctor or dermatologist when experiencing hair loss symptoms is important. They can conduct tests to identify the type of hair loss and recommend suitable treatments. Ethnicity plays a role in treatment response, so personalized approaches are necessary for effective treatment.
When dealing with hair loss symptoms, seeking advice from a doctor or dermatologist is vital. They can conduct tests to diagnose the type of hair loss and suggest appropriate treatments. Personalized approaches are essential due to variations in treatment response based on ethnicity. Your doctor will tailor a treatment plan accordingly.
Lorene Kendall is a professional hairdresser who has been around in the industry for quite some time. She has traveled to different countries and cities because of her undeniable passion for styling. Her creativity and eyes for fashion are what make her stand out the most. With her talent, she provides service that will beautifully translate what her clients want into actual art.