There comes a time in every woman’s life when she’s determined to get a fresh start.
In many cases, this involves a fabulous makeover to bring out the best in her features.
Thanks to our handpicked hairstyles for women over 40, you will surely discover the most sensational hairstyle that doesn’t depend on your age.
Enjoy them all below!
1. Short Hairstyles for Women over 40
Don’t let your ripe age lead you away from cute and flirty hairstyles. If you’re looking for a chic yet low maintenance haircut, try this short hairdo for women with straight hair.
It will bring out the best of your youthful soul.
2. Feathered Hairstyles
If you haven’t heard about feathered layering yet, you’re in for quite the pleasant surprise.
This layering technique mirrors the effect of feathers, adding a textured aspect to your hair. Highly flattering is an understatement for describing the results.
3. Medium Length Hairstyles for Women over 40
A balanced hairstyle can bring you numerous benefits. Indeed, you will enjoy more styling options than with a short haircut.
However, a medium-length hairstyle doesn’t come with the hassle that a long hairdo does. Therefore, you get a pretty and practical look.
4. Softly Straightened Hairstyles
Want to get a picture-perfect hairstyle that will make you seem as if you just stepped out of the salon?
Think about using a blow dryer and round brush to softly straighten it. Rotate the brush as you blow dry your hair with an inwards movement. s
5. Long Hairstyles for Women over 40
Sarah Jessica Parker is living proof that any woman can age gracefully. Even more so, she shows that ladies over 40 can rock long locks just as fabulously as any high school girl.
Sprinkle in some highlights for a beautiful glow all around.
- Hair Straightener This ergonomic 1 1/4 inch (3.17 cm ) MANUALLY controlled masterpiece with flash heating is a versatile...
- 25-18mm Tapered Curling Iron Create any type of curl on any type or length of hair by simply wrapping the hair around...
- Mini Hair Straightener Tourmaline Ionic Straightener. Produces 700% more negative ions, for silky and shiny hair. Nano...
6. Hairstyles for Black Women over 40
With the spectacular rise of natural hairstyles in the African American community, we’re more than happy to encourage all women of color to sport their afro curls.
Don’t forget that other women pay a considerable amount to get these curls, so embrace yours with pride!
7. Voluminous Hairstyles
We have to admit that we’re all obsessed with volume when it comes to our hairstyles. If you want to get more without struggling to do so, focus on shorter layers on top. They will plump up your entire hairstyle effortlessly.
8. Highlights Hairstyles
Sometimes, all you need is a splash of color to brighten up your whole hairstyle.
In most cases, you can achieve a more vivid look simply by adding some highlights. Blonde is the most popular option, but you can also go for copper or auburn.
9. Hairstyles for Plus Size Women over 40
Just like with age, size should never matter for a woman with confidence. Even if you have a plumper face, there’s a perfect hairstyle out there to flatter your features.
For example, you can choose a short and sassy hairstyle with bangs for framing your face.
10. Retro Hairstyles
Have a soft spot for retro glam? You can go back a few decades and get inspired by vintage hairstyles. There are plenty of modern-day celebrities over 40 who rock soft curls astoundingly well.
In this red carpet shot, you can see how the lovely Penelope Cruz sought inspiration from vintage trends.
11. Cool Hairstyles for Women over 40
You can be the coolest young mom on the block with an attitude-filled haircut. Show off your bold tastes with an extra choppy hairstyle. Get long and wispy bangs and angled layers that will reflect your outgoing style.
12. Ombre Hairstyles
Your age should never stop you from exploring outgoing hairstyles. For example, ombre isn’t limited to teenagers or young women in their mid-20s.
You can rock two hair colors at any age glamorously. It’s all in the way you wear them!
13. Balayage Hairstyles
If you’re into the idea of two hair colors but not quite convinced about ombre, you can think about getting a balayage hairstyle.
The blend of colors will be far more discrete, which is perfect for women seeking a more natural look.
14. Hairstyles for Women over 40 with Glasses
When choosing a hairstyle to go with glasses, you should consider the style of the glasses you wear too. As a result, angled glasses work incredibly well with an angled hairstyle. An inverted bob is just what you need in this case.
15. Short Hairstyles for African American Women over 40
Janet Jackson is yet another marvelous example of how a woman can age with beauty.
She chose to complement her lovely heart-shaped face with a fresh short hairstyle with curled tips. African-American women can keep this idea among their final choices.
- ➤Completely Portable-Well-designed,only 290g,premium soft-touch body;comfortable non-slip handle for flexible...
- ➤Get a Salon-grade Hair Dryer-Quick dry lightweight,Salon-quality 2000W DC motor hairdryer for 40% faster air flow and...
- ➤Get Different Hairstyle What You Want-FASIZ Damage Protection Hair Dryer dryer with 3 heat settings and 3 speeds,...
16. Chunky Highlights
Are you more of the bright and bold type? If you’re considering highlights for your new hairstyle, you may want to go with chunky ones.
As opposed to standard or wispy highlights, these streaks stand out through more coverage.
17. Hairstyles for Women over 40 with Round Face
The secret to properly framing a round face is through strategic angles.
In other words, you should think about getting a haircut with layers that you style towards your chin. The results will sharpen your features in a gorgeous way.
18. Braid Hairstyles
If you sport longer hair, you can have endless fun thinking about styling opportunities. Just one example is the timeless side braid.
Bring out your young side by loosely braiding your hair in a braid and sweeping it carelessly to the side.
19. Curly Hairstyles for Women over 40
Curls, especially natural ones, are an amazing sight to behold. They genuinely enhance your femininity with minimum effort, particularly if you have a smart haircut.
As far as hairstyles for women over 40 are concerned, we recommend a mid-length cut to flaunt your curly locks.
20. Low Buns
Another superb hairstyle for women with medium or long hair is the classy low bun. There are a myriad of variations you can pick from, with or without braids or other styling details.
It’s just what you need for a formal event.
- Extra long quality titanium plates. Ultra-soft tilting plates. The C3 iron can do it all! Straighten, curl, wave, twist...
- ntegrated temperature control. 4 heat stages 135º-180º-210º-235º. The C3 features an integrated digital temperature...
- The maximum heat is 235°C so the C3 is also perfect for the professional hairdresser performing salon hair treatments....
21. Updo Hairstyles
Speaking of fancy occasions, it was impossible for us to not mention updo hairstyles for women over 40.
As a rule of thumb, go for any sweeping hairstyle that involves loose strands all around. This idea beautifully works for all hair textures.
22. Shoulder Length Hairstyles for Women over 40
Out of all hair ranges, we wholeheartedly agree that shoulder-length is the most comfortable and adaptable. Like any medium haircut, it lets you play around with various hairstyles while still being fairly simple to maintain.
23. Hairstyles for Women over 40 with Fine Hair
We can’t deny that fine hair has its fair share of difficulties. It’s challenging to style without seeming too flat.
Nevertheless, a well-planned haircut can be the answer to all of your problems. Go for a short cut with plenty of layers to add natural volume.
24. Half Up Hairstyles
Another way to enhance your youthful side is with a half up, half down hairstyle, like Heidi Klum in this pretty shot.
If you go for this style, we encourage you to keep it loose and careless to boost the impact of the results.
25. Twisted Crowns
Although this hairstyle won’t work for women with significantly short hair, it can easily be adorned by ladies with shoulder-length locks.
The twisted crown, also known as the halo braid or crown braid, is a graceful hairstyle for women of all ages.
- 50 Peekaboo Highlights Ideas You Will Love
- Brown Hair with Blonde Highlights: 55 Charming Ideas
- 50 Gorgeous Layered Haircuts for Long Hair that You Need to Try
26. Short Bob Hairstyles for Women over 40
It’s easy to see why Raquel Welch is just as famous for her hairstyles as she is for her acting skills.
She rocks a short bob flawlessly, showing how other women over the age of 40 can do so as well. We also believe those messy, side-swept bangs are fantastic.
27. Long Bob Hairstyles for Women over 40
We totally understand why bob haircuts are regarded as some of the most versatile hairstyles available.
In addition to their short version, long bobs are also gaining more popularity than ever. Jennifer Aniston proves that they look astounding.
28. Asymmetrical Haircuts
Spice up your life with an awesome asymmetrical haircut! It’s one of the hairstyles that will make you look and feel younger than ever before.
You’ll enjoy a funky fresh look that proves you’re an open-minded woman at any age.
29. Bouffant Hairstyles
Jackie Kennedy went down in history as one of the most elegant first ladies of all time. One of her signature looks included a glamorous bouffant hairstyle.
If you resonate with 60s fashion, then this is the ultimate hairstyle for you!
30. Professional Hairstyles for Women over 40
If you’re seeking a clean haircut appropriate for any professional environment, this is the optimum look for you.
The shoulder-length cut is highly suitable for the workplace, together with the lightly side-swept bangs.
No products found.
31. Chignon Hairstyles
The chignon serves as a highly classy hairstyle for the sophisticated woman. Even though it’s usually reserved for formal events, you can also wear your mid-length hair this way in a professional setting or on a special occasion.
32. Short Shaggy Hairstyles for Women over 40
A shag haircut can easily knock off a few years from your appearance. It’s a super playful hairstyle that makes any mature woman shine. Messy layers and styling are essential for getting the perfect shaggy hairstyle.
33. Swept Back Hairstyles
Every now and then, it’s a wonderful idea to fully reveal your facial features with the right hairstyle.
In this case, we’re talking about any slicked or swept back hairdo. In addition to letting your face shine, you’ll also get a boost of elegance.
34. Hairstyles for Women over 40 with Bangs
Bangs are a terrific idea for a hairstyle destined for a mature woman. Not only do they help cover up slight imperfections, but they also frame any face shape flatteringly.
You can choose from countless bangs styles, from parted or arched to side-swept or choppy.
35. Stacked Bobs
To continue our fabulous series of bob hairstyles for women over 40, here comes the stacked bob.
The term ‘stacked’ refers to the cutting style, with stacks of layers piled one over the other. The results are astoundingly voluminous and beautiful.
- 1" for smoothing, curls, flips and waves
- Ceramic plates with beveled edges for styling versatility
- Digital temperature control with LCD display
36. Faux Hawks
Among our favorite updos is the faux hawk, a daring yet delicate choice for outgoing women.
One of the top reasons to sport a faux hawk is that you can adapt it according to the occasion. The styling can vary from graceful to rebellious.
37. Easy Hairstyles for Women over 40
Want to keep everything sweet and simple? Go for a short haircut with layers galore.
Still, we recommend that you don’t keep it too short, so you can create the outline for when your hair grows out. You won’t have any trouble with styling or maintenance.
38. Sexy Hairstyles for Women over 40
Before we talk about our choice, you should know that the sexiness in any woman comes from her attitude and how she holds herself.
After you got this covered, pick a hairstyle to support your mindset. We love Lisa Rinna’s choppy and wild look.
39. Finger Waves
We’re back to old Hollywood glamor for this hairstyle – the unforgettable finger waves. There’s no denying that this hairstyle conveys exceptional refinement, no matter the environment.
Choose it if femininity is among your top values.
40. Hairstyles for Asian Women over 40
One of the traits that Asian women are blessed with is having jet black, shiny, rich hair. If you’re in this situation, why not make the most of it?
Lucy Liu is the ideal example of how a medium-length haircut can enhance your natural qualities.
- 1” Inch Ceramic Rotating Barrel ideal for shoulder-length hair between 6-16” length.
- Includes Pre-set Temperatures: Low 370°F for Fine Hair, Medium 390°F for Medium Hair, High 410°F for Coarse Hair
- Includes Adjustable Heat-Up Times: 15 seconds for Fine Hair, 17 seconds for Medium Hair, 19 seconds for Coarse Hair
41. French Twists
No wonder the French are regarded as some of the most stylish individuals. The French twist is just one of their multiple iconic hairstyles.
You should think about this tasteful idea if you love experimenting with updos for your mid-long hair.
42. Pixie Hairstyles for Women over 40
You have already noticed that short haircuts are embraced by women over 40, but what about one of the cutest of them all?
The pixie haircut is an adorable choice, with short layers and a graceful silhouette that tends to complement all small faces.
43. Messy Buns
You don’t have to be a certain age to adorn a messy bun with grace. For example, Leslie Mann, at age 45, allows her youthful soul to shine with a loose, casual updo in a flawless way.
We also love how she used a ribbon to top off the hairstyle.
44. Wavy Hairstyles for Women over 40
We have to admit that wavy is the most generous hair texture one can have. You can choose from a wide range of wavy haircuts, from short to long. Get inspired by Keri Russel’s shoulder-length hairstyle for your wavy locks.
45. Permed Hairstyles
Have you lived your entire life with straight hair? Perhaps you want to make a change now that you’re going through a new chapter in your life.
For this, you can think about getting your hair permed. Be careful and try to avoid as much damage as possible.
- 30 Party Hairstyles to Look Fabulous No Matter the Occasion!
- 50 Updo Hairstyles for Weddings and the Perfect ‘I Do’
- 50 Jolly Christmas Hairstyles Fit for All Parties
46. Spiky Hairstyles
We’re all for adding some cool spikes to your hairstyle. If you have shorter hair with layers, you can style the back with spikes. It works terrifically well with side-swept bangs, and especially with naturally straight hair.
47. Hairstyles for Women over 40 with Thick Hair
If you have thick hair, you’re quite the lucky lady. Why not make the most of it with a hairstyle that accentuates your natural thickness?
For this, all you need is a long A-line bob. It starts shorter at the back and gets longer towards your chin.
48. Layered Hairstyles for Women over 40
Ladies, repeat after us: layers are life! All jokes aside, a layered haircut can work wonders for any hair texture.
49. Textured Hairstyles
Express your free spirit with a short, sassy, and textured hairstyle. A choice like this will prove that you’re not afraid to show your true personality.
Moreover, we also like how Donna Mitchell embraced her natural hair color in this photo. Thumbs up!
50. Femme Fatale Hairstyles
What better way to wrap up our article than with an irresistible hairstyle? Sofia Vergara is widely regarded as one of the sexiest women alive, so you can look into her femme fatale style for inspiration.
Long, soft, side-swept curls are a must!
- Healthy Waves: The innovative center “slot” design features floating plates that gently heat without compressing the...
- Featuring: Heated tourmaline plates produce negatively charged ions that create soft shiny waves, Adjustable heat...
- Lasting Waves: The unique design is optimized for waving, compared to curling irons and flat irons that are designed for...
So, What Is YOUR Hair Motivation?
All in all, there are no boundaries when it comes to hairstyles for women over 40. You should never restrict your selection of hairdos due to your age.
Whether you embrace your maturity or want to express youthful joy through your appearance, you should always choose a hairstyle that represents you.
On this note, which one do you feel the most? Would you add any other ideas? Let us know below!
- Natural Hairstyles for Black Hair 50 Gorgeous Ideas
- 50 Peekaboo Highlights Ideas You Will Love
- Brown Hair with Blonde Highlights: 55 Charming Ideas
- 50 Gorgeous Layered Haircuts for Long Hair that You Need to Try
- 50 Short Hairstyles for Black Women: Splendid Ideas for You!
- Bring Movement & Flexibility: 50 Haircuts with Bangs for Medium Hair
- Unicorn Hair Without the Salon — You’ll Have a Rainbow Shine All the Time
Last update on 2021-10-16 at 22:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API