Androgynous haircuts used to be for the outliers — the people who were determined to make a statement.
Now, thanks to celebrities like Miley Cyrus, the only statement you’ll be making with an androgynous haircut is a fashion statement.
More than ever, men and women both are eschewing gender norms in favor of what they love and are attracted to, and we’ve got to say, we’re fans of the results.
Whether it’s long hair, braids, and ponytails on men, or buzz cuts and faux hawks on women, the combinations are delightful and make us all more powerful when it comes to speaking our truth and living courageously.
Below is our guide to our top seven favorite androgynous haircuts.
1. The Pixie/Buzz Cut With Fade
On a woman, an uber-short cut is usually categorized as being a pixie cut. On a man, you’ll call it a buzz cut.
Either way, it’s probably the most practical cut on this list. It manages to offer a whole range of versatility and a whole lot of styling options.
In somewhat of a contrast, Rooney Mara and Kristen Stewart work with them to achieve a more gender-neutral look.
For example, Kristen Stewart and Justin Bieber simultaneously sported the same haircut — a closely cropped, platinum blond buzz.
Celebs like Bieber and Stewart are onto something with their buzz cuts–pixies: they are easy to care for.
Little to no product is necessary beyond basic shampoo, which frees you from the conventional styling needs of longer haircuts.
Plus, pixie cuts and buzz cuts are flattering on a wide variety of faces and manage to be modern while also being classic.
- Innovative Healthy Styling:The 5-IN-1 Ceramic coated Heating plate is also infused with Nano Silver,Argan oil,Tourmaline...
- Simple One Step Operation without any buttons:the revolutionary design allow you to operate by simple revolving the end...
- High Efficiency Flat Iron:The extra-long 4.1" heating plate provide more contacted area(+10%) than normal one,means...
Finally, while you might think buzz cuts are basic and boring, that couldn’t be farther from the truth.
- You can switch up the color of your pixie (think: Nicole Richie’s pink pixie) or its length.
- Keep it short and get it buzzed frequently or grow it out, so it tousels.
- Get designs buzzed in the sides or back, spike it, or let it be soft and natural.
Bonus: if your hair is curly and you can rock a curly buzz or pixie cut!
- 50 Unbelievably Easy Hairstyles for School to Save Time
- Keep Them Looking Lovely: 50 Heartwarming Flower Girl Hairstyles
2. The Top Knot/Man Bun
Next on our guide to androgynous haircuts is the top knot, also known as the man bun.
Suburban women know this as the “I don’t have time to fix my hair look” while men know it as the ultimate hipster look that’s become as much of a staple as the beard.
Either way, it offers endless options for you if you’re looking for a gender-neutral style.
Bonus? It’s ultra-practical, offering a great way to save money on haircuts and keep your hair out of your eyes.
There are as many ways to don this look as there are people.
- But if you truly want an androgynous look and your features are feminine, you’ll need to add elements like an undercut to balance things out.
- On the other hand, if your features are masculine, you can go for a messy bun or voluminous top knot to add a feminine balance.
You can also choose to keep things loose and messy or to make them slick and groomed (think: Jared Leto).
Whatever the case, the key here is hair–and lots of it.
You don’t want layers, so make sure you let your stylist know. Use a biotin supplement, collagen, or rosemary oil to help your hair grow faster.
- 45 Amazing Hairstyles for Men with Curly Hair: Inspiration and Ideas
- 30 Great Curly Hairstyles for Men: Inspirations and Ideas
3. The Shag
The shag is an androgynous haircut straight out of the 70s! And it’s back in a big way.
The shag enjoys a terrific rock’n’roll vibe (thanks in no small part to Mick Jagger, we’re sure) which sets it apart from the pixie and the top knot–which are inherently modern and hipster, respectively.
What makes a shag a shag?
You can count on bangs, always (they’ll be fringy and slightly blunt) and lots of layers.
You can opt for fine, almost-fringe like wisps or go for bigger, chunkier layers.
Either way, messy is the name of the game–you’ll want your natural texture to come through.
- 🤍Best for Big, Natural waves for days
- 💖Minimal Heat Damage. Adjustable Temperature up to 390℉
- 💜3 Sizes for your desired look/hair type. 6 Colors for your taste
You should go for this if you prefer a look that matches your giant bell bottoms and platform sandals.
Or if you simply want something a bit more offbeat than traditional androgynous haircuts.
Either way, this is the cut to try!
4. Faux Hawk
The semi-mohawk was a calmer, more acceptable version of the Mohawk of the 80s, and managed to infuse a punk element to a more manageable haircut.
A faux hawk is very versatile and a great way to wade into an androgynous cut if you’re not entirely sure if it’s for you.
It’s easy to make it more traditionally masculine or feminine, depending on how you style it.
- Normally, it features close cut sides and back with a wedge, spiky, combed-over, or swooped top.
- Also, sometimes, you’ll see the sides and back buzzed or with an undercut.
The length of the top can vary dramatically (you’ll even see some throw it up in a top knot), and you can also be creative with the sides–working in braids or buzzed designs.
- 30 Party Hairstyles to Look Fabulous No Matter the Occasion!
- 50 Updo Hairstyles for Weddings and the Perfect ‘I Do’
5. The Afro
Ah, the afro. If you can grow one, we’re jealous!
One of the most classic options in terms of androgynous haircuts, an afro is neither feminine nor masculine–it’s just a great head of hair!
- Hair type: wavy
- Item Package Length: 4.45"
- Item Package Width: 10.95"
Part of its marvel is that each afro is as unique and individual as the hair texture: whether that’s coils, kinks, or any other kind of texture in between.
An afro is a commitment, no doubt, but it’s often healthier for your scalp and skin than traditional hair relaxation treatments.
6. The Bowl Cut
Please do not run away screaming–we’re about to tell you the bowl cut is back, but this time, things are better!
While the mushroom you were forced into as a child wasn’t exactly cute, a more sophisticated version of the cut is making its way back to us.
And guess what? It’s the perfect androgynous cut!
Modern takes on the bowl cut include messier, edgier looks with updated color jobs and cool, retro-but-modern vibes.
Some faces just won’t be able to pull it off. But frankly, that’s part of the reason why this cut is so appealing.
- You can opt for a subtle cut that keeps the bowl short and uses a lot of fading.
- Or you can go full-mushroom (you’ll need naturally straight hair for this) with a long top.
- Somewhere in between is a sweet spot for most people.
Combined with sleek undercuts or even beards, this kind of cut makes for one of the most classically gender-neutral looks in the modern hairstylist’s repertoire.
- Wear It Purple & Proud! 50 Fabulous Purple Hair Suggestions
- Wavy Hair Love: 50 Gorgeous Ways to Cut & Style Yours!
7. The Modern Mullet
If we managed to keep you through the bowl cut, hopefully, we don’t lose you with the modern mullet!
Yes, it’s back! But stop thinking Billy Ray Cyrus and start thinking more global inspiration.
Today’s mullet is one of the most perfectly androgynous haircuts in this guide, as it pulls in elements like faux hawks and top knots.
It is also much, much more subtle than whatever was going on the 80s.
It’s also much better at working with your hair, and you’ll notice that each person’s mullet is as unique as the person sporting it.
- Cordless Convenience - The power of corded clippers with the convenience of cordless; Exceptional performance with a...
- Quick Recharging - Equipped with a 10-minute quick charge for instant power & fast 3-5-hour charge time. Lithium-ion...
- Clipping & Trimming Combo - Kit features a powerful clipper and bonus touch up battery trimmer for achieving your...
- To rock one, we suggest first making sure your stylist knows what he or she is doing (and make sure she isn’t picturing county music in the 80s).
- Then, keep the back shorter than ponytail length and keep the top cropped, messy, and uneven.
Another good reason to love this gender-neutral look? It’s low maintenance!
You do not want to use a lot of product or styling with this haircut. Instead, let your hair’s natural texture shine through!
Whether you’re a woman empowered to go short or a man empowered to go long, androgynous haircuts are practical, modern, and look terrific!
Our only question is: which cut will you try first?
- Natural Hairstyles for Black Hair 50 Gorgeous Ideas
- 50 Peekaboo Highlights Ideas You Will Love
- Brown Hair with Blonde Highlights: 55 Charming Ideas
- 50 Gorgeous Layered Haircuts for Long Hair that You Need to Try
- 50 Short Hairstyles for Black Women: Splendid Ideas for You!
- Bring Movement & Flexibility: 50 Haircuts with Bangs for Medium Hair
- Unicorn Hair Without the Salon — You’ll Have a Rainbow Shine All the Time
Last update on 2021-10-16 at 22:31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API